Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Clothes to bring for vacation in Carmel and Yountville???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2013, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be staying at the Tickle Pink Inn outside Carmel for 3 days starting Friday and then driving up to Yountville for 2 days before spending a day in San Francisco & flying back to Austin. We had a bunch of unexpected work stuff happen, so haven't planned much, but want to do some hiking around Carmel & then just relaxing in Yountville.

My question is what to pack??? We have had triple digits in Texas for so long that I can't even remember what 59 degrees feels like!!! I'm assuming the difference in temp between Carmel & Yountville are fairly significant, right? I know this is silly, but I am feeling so overwhelmed with getting the work stuff done before we leave that I can't think about what to pack. Can some kind soul please advise me?
Old Sep 1st, 2013, 07:47 AM

A few days ago it was 90 in Big Sur. Weather along the coast is totally UN-predictable. Three times in the past 5 years we've headed out for Carmel/Big Sur in Sept when the forecast was for gloriously sunny days. It was socked in with fog twice. Once, the weather forecasters even apologized in the SF Chron for the 100% wrong forecast.

We live by the SF airport & the weather has been fabulous - low to mid 70s. Last night we drove into the Inner Sunset district of SF for dinner, & there was very dense fog - we had to have the windshield wipers on.

We're heading to Carmel again on Tuesday & returning Friday.

Bring sweatshirts, jackets, layers, sleeveless tops, and shorts.

Stu Dudley
Old Sep 1st, 2013, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Stu. Good info. It's been so hot here that the thought of wearing a light jacket is heaven!
Old Sep 1st, 2013, 08:10 AM

No promises about the weather, but even in Yountville you are likely to want a sweatshirt morning and evening. Weather's been a little cooler than usual for Sept. If I was driving to Carmel, I'd throw a fleece and sweater in the car. It's not unusual to see people in western San Francisco in winter jackets, especially in July. But it could be 90, sorry!
Old Sep 1st, 2013, 09:38 AM

>> It's not unusual to see people in western San Francisco in winter jackets, especially in July