Sonoma Valley restaurant recommendations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2003, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that this board seems to up and running, I'll chance to to ask this question...

My husband and I will be staying in the Sonoma Valley – specifically, Glen Ellen. Can some of you post your recommendations for nice restaurants less than 30 minutes from where we'll be staying. I’ve heard of the French Laundry and how wonderful it is, but it’s really beyond my price range (I still may breakdown and try – assuming we can get a reservation). Timeframe is September; prefer romantic atmosphere, well-prepared food (Continental, French, or regional cuisine). I'd like to try to keep the tab below $150 for 2 people with wine and tip. Thanks!
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 09:15 AM

Look into restaurants actually in the town of Sonoma. For a start try "Cafe La Haye" and "The Girl and the Fig". BTW..look into the Da Rosa Preserve. It will be about 30 minutes or less from where you are staying. This is a large collection of Bay Area Modern art. You will need to make reservations. The tour is docent led and takes about 2 hours. The property the galleries sit on is Sonoma countryside. The cost of each ticket is $10.(I know it's not restaurant info but it's great Sonoma info!).
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Pam, The Girl and the Fig sounds like it's right up our alley. Thanks for the help!
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 02:43 PM

Hi Liz..glad it works for you. A correction on the spelling of the modern art preserve..it's di Rosa preserve.
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 05:38 PM

Save yourself the drive home and try one of the great restaurants in Glen closer to home: Glen Ellen Inn, Girl and the Gaucho, Kenwood, and others. There are plenty to choose from and I'm sure the hotel/B&B where you are staying will have great recommendations. If you are heading there this early in the year you won't have to worry about reservations, either.
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Bob, I'll be going there in September. Do you think I'll need to make reservations ahead of time (like 2-4 weeks beforehand)? Or can my B&B book it for me a few days before I arrive? Or can I just wait until I get there?
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 10:13 AM

September is a popular time in the Wine country because the crush begins and there are quite a few golf tournaments. We've always had a difficult time getting accomodations for the weekends because we don't book far enough in advance. You may have less difficulty eating at popular places during the week but you should definitely have reservation for any poular restaurant for weekend dining.

You should have beautiful weather for your visit!
Old Feb 22nd, 2003, 10:32 PM

I'd definietly recommend the Glen Ellen Inn. The food was absolutely delicious. They have a changing menu so I can't recommend what I had but would return if we were ever in town again. www.glenelleninn.com has a sample menu.

We went during Harvest week (first week of October) and made our reservations before arriving in town. But since we came on a weekday, the place wasn't very crowded and were able to get a table at the window. We had booked our accomadations very late and found it difficult to book anything for the weekend. But as long as you book early, you will be fine.
Old Feb 22nd, 2003, 11:00 PM

We ate at the General's Daughter in Sonoma. It was in a Victorian house and the food was good.
Old Feb 22nd, 2003, 11:42 PM

Liz: Another vote for The Girl and the Fig. Make reservations and be sure to ask for a patio table. The weather in September will be great for eating under the grape vines. The ride from Glen Ellen to Sonoma is a beautiful one and you will pass several well known wineries. French Laundry will be a bit more than 30 minutes. Have a great trip.
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your wonderful suggestions. I know that my trip is still far off, but I can't help getting excited about it. This is a very special surprise birthday gift for my husband. We’re traveling from the east coast and he’s never been west of Colorado.