sonoma napa planning help

Old Jul 4th, 2004, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sonoma napa planning help

I've just begun to plan a trip to the Sonoma/Napa region and I'm looking for all your good advice since I've never been north of SF...I'm using all the posts as a start for my planning but wondered if I could ask some specific questions of you all.

trip time: September for about 8-9 days
-Is that too long for the region? We DON'T want to spend any time in SF or big cities... We're more a winery tour and hiking couple than a rafting/biking sort, do you think we'll find enough to do while still moving at a relaxing pace?

We're considering flying into Oakland, renting a car and driving into sonoma.
-any thoughts on Sacramento over Oakland airports?

We'd like to find a place-ideally close to the coast- to use as a base for further travel and want to stay somewhere nice for our anniversary-but prefer $250 or under.
-I'm looking for recs of places to stay in Sonoma- but I'm reading about fog and weather...if we stay close to the coast in Sept. will that prevent us from further travel on small roads or is it just morning fog?

-How much time should I split between Sonoma and Napa or could I stay in one place and make driving trips out during the day?

-what is not to be missed in the area?

-can you recommend a good company to do day trips to vinyards so we can take a break from driving at some point?

-Where is the CIA? Is that south of this region?
thanks!
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 01:47 PM

It's the Fourth of July and the weather out here is fantastic! So, patience, emjoy, the experts on Sonoma and Napa will return from their celebrations and answer you in full!

Have a happy Fourth!
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

thanks I thought this might be a slow time for travel talk.
: )
I'll check back once the fireworks end...
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 09:37 AM

Hi emjoy. I grew up in this area and am curious since you describe yourself as a hiking sort what your plans are aside from wine tasting? While you can hike in Napa area (Sugarloaf park etc) this area tends to have a dry, yellow look in September. Have you thought about staying in the Alexander Valley region (Healdsburg) instead? I would research this as given your long time frame you could go out to the coast more easily (Jenner, Ross, Fort Bragg, Mendocino) in this region their are redwood parks and coastal bluffs that make for nice, cool hikes. There are many fine wineries as well. In you stay in that area you could still easily take a day trip to Calistoga if so inclined.
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

thanks myst. I am just beginning to examine the area, so thanks for the tip on Alexander Valley- I'll definitely look into it. Not knowing the area I was just thinking the closer to the ocean I am, the happier I tend to be. But it does sound like the areas are all within and hour or so drive.
We like to hike -mostly for scenery and would like to see Redwoods since neither of us have. this trip I'm looking for a slower pace- our vacations tend to be focused around history/literature with a big focus on 'learning something new every day' and this is the first trip in a while in our own country so I wanted to go to an area I'd never been to. I always feel really happy at a vinyard- and I'd like to know more about how they work.
Is it unrealistic to think I can entertain myself enough for 8-9 days just by taking long walks and visiting vinyards? Are many vinyards open in September for visits-tours-tastings etc? Or is that too close to harvest?
thanks
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

after delving into previous posts- I'm overwhelmed with info regarding places to stay (not to mention Napa vs. Sonoma).

I am looking at splitting my time (8-9 days) between two places so we can unpack and relax.
I'm looking for your input. We'd love to spend part of our stay in a very country -middle of the vinyards type place. Our preference is not for a big hotel or spa but to feel like we're in a private vinyard, with the views and the B&B charm- with privacy- or coastal views if not near the vinyard. And we'd also like to spend some time in a small town to be walking distance to shops and restaurants.
What are your thoughts on the following:
Yountville: maison fleurie
Santa Rosa?
Healdsburg: Grape Leaf Inn
Bodego Bay: Sonoma Coast Villa
thanks
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 06:15 PM

September and October are our most fog free and warmest months. For the "stayng in the midst of a vineyard" experience, I suggest you book at the Vintner's Inn (Barnes Road, but it is really just off River Road near Hwy 101), which also has one of our premier restaurants "John Ash". A half hour down River Road is the ocean, the town of Jenner, where the river meets the Pacific, with seals basking. A beautiful sandy beach, with romantic Goat Rock is just across the bridge. You could stay in Jenner at a more funky River's End Restaurant and Inn, which is exactly where the river meets the sea. Another day, drive down River Road toward the ocean again, but stop in old-towny Guerneville, turn onto Armstrong Woods Road to spend the day walking in old-grown redwood forest. Another day drive East this time (Hwy 101 going south, then Hwy 12 going East) to the town of Sonoma. Upscale shops and restaurants around a plaza, and the historic Mission and adobe houses from the days that the Spanish/Mexicans owned California. Before you get to Sonoma, you'll pass many many wineries with tasting rooms (and my office!!). From Sonoma its another half hour to Napa Valley and more wineries and restaurants. (about an hour from the Vineyard Inn, but 1 1/2 from Jenner, so if you stay there, I suggest booking other nights in the Napa Valley). If you stay at the Vintner's Inn, its a half hour north on Hwy 101 to Healdsburg and the Alexander Valley wineries. P.S. you can canoe on the Russian River.PPS: Oakland and SFO are closer than Sacramento.
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 06:18 PM

EEk, I really did mean Vintner's Inn (I said Vineyard Inn which is in Sonoma, and OK too but not in a vineyard).
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 03:44 PM

Humanone made many good points. And I agree with flying into Oakland being the more convenient airport. Might work best to stay in Healdsburg area maybe three nights to see the wineries and relax. Take a scenic drive out river road thru Jenner and up the coast to Medocino to stay one or two nights before returning to stay the remaining time in Sonoma (town of) before leaving back to Oakland.