Sonoma area questions

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 07:45 AM
Hazel

Sonoma area questions

My husband and I are planning a long weekend in the Sonoma area in late September. We would like to spend two nights at a B&B or inn in either Sonoma or Healdsburg and then two nights somewhere on the Sonoma coast. Can anyone recommend whether we should stay in Sonoma or Healdsburg (and why you prefer one town over the other)? We would like to be within walking or biking distance of at least one or two wineries, if possible.

Also, can anyone recommend a place to stay on the Sonoma coast, preferably with a view of the Pacific Ocean? I've read about some lovely places in the Mendocino area, but I'm concerned that it's a little too far to drive for such a short trip. I'd love to hear about any recommendations not quite as far north (such as in Jenner or Bodega Bay).

Thanks very much.

Hazel

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 07:52 AM
gail

Sonoma sounds like what you are looking for as far as convenience. Biking from winery to winery might be easier.The bike paths are more straight forward. I think Healdsburg is prettier (and you have the Russian River), but the wineries are further apart. Bodega Bay is a bay, so if drop dead wild ocean views are what you are looking for, further north may be better.

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 08:20 AM
Hazel

Thanks, Gail.

Do you have any recommendations of places to stay in Sonoma or on the coast?

Hazel

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 08:28 AM
Joan

We stayed at the Healdsburg Inn on the Plaza in June and loved it. They have beautiful rooms, a wonderful breakfast and wine tasting in the evening. There are a couple of wine tasting rooms on the plaza but I don't know if there are any wineries that you could bike to.There may, be but you'd have to ask someone there.

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 08:44 AM
Kim

Just got back from Sonoma last week. We love it there. This time we stayed at Ramekins B&B which is part of a culinary school - we liked it very much. However we also stayed one night at the new Renaissance Lodge which was very nice. I suggest you ask for a cottage as those rooms, which include a sitting area and sunken tub, seemed bigger than the rooms right in the hotel part. Also, if you stay there, don't miss the Tasting Room next door - lots of little wineries represented with actual winemakers on hand.

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 10:29 AM
Caitlin

I don't thibk Mendocino is too far to go, especially as the drive is scenic through the Russian River area and along the coast. I've done weekends there from SF, and you'll be closer going from Sonoma. Also, September is one of the best times, weatherwise (not too foggy). Don't know what your budget is, but Albion River Inn, just south of Mendocino, is very nice, has a great restaurant, and is right on a bluff on the coast side. Most rooms have decks with great views. They have a web site. If you don't want to head so far north, the Gualala ares is a good choice.

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 12:56 PM
Hazel

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will definitely check out the places recommended so far.

Hazel

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 04:06 PM
Topper

topping

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 04:50 PM
kam

In Bodega Bay, we loved the Inn Between the Tides. In Inverness, 10 Inverness Way is a lovely B&B. In Healdsburg we stay at Madrona Manor, but have heard good things about the Camillia House and the Inn on the Square (above) In Mendocino, our favorite was St. Orres but the Old Milano and the Whale Watch Inn are also very nice.