Itinery help - Yosemite/ Sequoia in 3 days

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 11:56 AM
PG

Itinery help - Yosemite/ Sequoia in 3 days

We are planning a trip to Yosemite/ Sequoia at the end of this month. We would have 3 complete days. Any suggestions as to how much time we should spend at each park and where whould we stay. Considering that this is going to be a heavy tourist season, is it feasible to stay at Fresno and make day trips to the 2 paks. How far is Fresno from each of the parks? Anyone?

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 12:04 PM
YS

While Fresno is not very far from Sequoia (about 40 min drive) it is pretty far from Yosemite (probably will take about 3-4 hours). I've only passed it by, and from what I saw it was not the nicest place to stay.
I think 3 days is too little time for both parks; perhaps you can spend this entire time in Yosemite - there will be enough things to do.

I don't have any loging info, but I'm sure it will be hard to find anything right in the park. I've stayed at the Pine Mountain Lake area, which is about 30 miles from Yosemite - you can rent a cottage there (and there's a lake with the beach) and use it as a base to take 40 minute drive to the park. You will not have to pay each time - the ticket is good for 7 days or so.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 12:15 PM
janis

Good luck finding anything in/near Yosemite for this month. Places in the park book up months ahead for August. Sequoia is a little easier - but the last two weeks of August is the busiest time in the Sierra. Even more than July 4 week since it is right before most kids go back to school.

As for Fresno - nothing against the city - but in August the temp can rise to 110F and there is little to see or do there.

You really need a little more lead time for a trip to Yosemite in the summer.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 12:17 PM
Suzie

From Fresno to Fish camp is a couple of hours and from Fish camp to the Valley is about an hour and a half. It's alot of driving for your 3 day visit. To Cedar Grove from Fresno it's about 21/2 hours. If you really want to visit both parks you might be rushed. Since valley lodging will be difficult you might consider Fish Camp, Tanaya Lodge or a nice Inn called Apple Tree. Visit the valley and the northern part of the park. Next day do Wawona and drive down to Fresno. Get early start to Sequoia/kings Canyon for third day. Seems rushed doesn't it? Could skip Sequoia if you'd be happy with seeing Giant Redwoods in the south part of Yosemite. Good Luck

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 04:57 PM
kam

I'd suggest just trying to see Yosemite and leaving Sequoia for another time. There's a whole line of towns in the California "Gold Country" where you might be able to find a hotel room within a decent drive of Yosemite. You've really left this for too short to enjoy all that Yosemite has to offer. Certainly better than Fresno would be Mariposa--not a tourist's delight, but closer to the park. Good luck.