Sonoma

Apr 29th, 2006, 09:10 PM
Original Poster

Sonoma

I will be visiting my best friend from Placerville in late June/July for a week and we plan to spend a couple of days and nights in the Sonoma area. After some research, reading posts, etc. I have chosen a bunch of wineries that I hope to visit. We have been to this area a couple of times so we have been to Viansa, Ferarri Carano, Imagery, Buena Vista, Ledson, Simi.

I would love opinions on these choices:
B. R. Cohn, Kunde and St. Francis (first afternoon)
Armida, Roshambo, Hop Kiln, Gary Farrell, J Winery, Limerick Lane, (first full day) Nicholsan Ranch, Domaine Carneros ( 2nd day on the way back to Placerville)
We especially wanted to try St. Francis and J. Winery because of the wine and food pairings they offer.

Any advice or other suggestions of things to do, such as best shopping areas and restaurants would be appreciated. We are staying at the Best Western Dry Creek.
Thanks!
Apr 29th, 2006, 09:39 PM

B.R. Cohn, Domaine Carneros and Nicholson Ranch are all great. I also enjoy Schug and, for the fun zen-like atmosphere, Artesa.

Enjoy!
Apr 29th, 2006, 10:01 PM

Shopping in downtown Sonoma is fun, as is shopping in Healdsburg. Since you are staying in Healdsburg, try eating at Willie's. It is great!
Apr 30th, 2006, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions! I had heard that Schugs was nice. It seems like it is not as close as some of the others I listed but maybe everything is close overall anyway.
We will check out Willies.
Apr 30th, 2006, 11:59 AM

Don't miss Ferrari Cerrano, its a beautiful drive from where you are in Healdsburg (by the way, there is no bad food or bad shopping in Healdsburg) lovely gardens that are appreciating the California sunshine currently!
Apr 30th, 2006, 06:10 PM

We were in Sonoma the last week in March and had the pleasure of visiting several of the wineries you mentioned. We really enjoyed Kunde. Take their cave tour. Very neat!

We also went to Hop Kiln and bought several bottles of wine. Nice and well worth the stop.

Nicholson Ranch was a particular favorite. It so happens that the owner was at the tasting bar and very graciously autographed one of the bottles we bought. We took several photos and have a very elegant picture of two llamas standing very serenely near the columns in the vineyard.

We had such a good time and look forward to going back in a couple of years.

Apr 30th, 2006, 07:29 PM

yes to J, Rosambo and Limerick Lane. Domaine Careneros is BIG but nice. When you're in Dry Creek, don't miss Wilson. It's small, not a tourist trap, but check out their awards at the SF Chronicle Wine competition. GREAT wine. And right up the road are the tasting rooms for Papapetro-Perry (Pinot to die for) and Amphora, where Rick Hutchison is making some kick a** wines. Don't overlook the small wineries! The very smart Diane Wilson from Wilson told me to visit Dutcher Crossing, which was a great call...really nice wines, nice staff.
Apr 30th, 2006, 08:33 PM

Please stop by my favorite winery in Glen Ellen--Benziger Family Winery. A beautiful spot, great wine, terrific people.
May 1st, 2006, 10:31 AM

Yes, don't miss Willi's! Been there three times and never disappointed!