Songdoc: Where to Stay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2021, 07:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, let me tell you that I have been following you for years and I'm so intrigued by you and your travels. My husband and I are planning our first trip to Kauai in October for our 40th anniversary. Seriously, that's just crazy since I feel like I'm not even old enough to have been married that long! We have been to Maui and I was a little under-impressed. I really think we would be happier with the north shore of Kauai so that is our plan this time. My questions are: How late in October can be go and still have good weather on the north coast? Where would you consider staying if you're not the resort type of person but still want your privacy? I've looked at many condos over the years and a great view of both the mountains and the ocean would be perfect. I've seen some really nice units at Pua Poa so something like that. I'm a little worried about the "condo" atmosphere at Princeville so would somewhere else closer be better? I'm willing to consider the southern coast but I really feel like that's more California/Maui like, and that's not what I'm looking for. I hope this post makes some sense and you can help. Thanks in advance!!
Old Apr 11th, 2021, 09:21 PM

Congratulations on your upcoming 40th!

Kauai is quite different from Maui, and Kauai's North Shore is quite different from its South Shore. I am not a fan of the vibe on Maui, although it has some very beautiful places. To me, the South shore is indeed more reminiscent of Maui. Some people love that more commercial, touristy atmosphere.

I think Pua Poa or [/color]Pali Ke Kua (which is practically next door) are both beautiful. A bit less luxurious (and less expensive) are Ali'i Kai (where I live) and Sealodge. The complexes I'm not mentioning feel more like a resort--or don't have views. To me, the places I mentioned are having your own private apartment. Another option would be Hanalei Bay Villas, which are across the street from Pua Poa. They are a complex of stand-alone little 2-story homes. Depending on the unit you choose, some of them have spectacular mountain views with distant ocean views, but not "real" ocean views from the units. Literally, across the street there is a lookout with gorgeous ocean views. Tourists gather there to watch the sunset. The only negatives are that Hanalei Bay Villas is close to the former Princeville Resort that is being completely remodeled. The construction could be noisy if you choose a unit near the hotel. And HBV does not have a pool.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "condo atmosphere." The condos I mentioned are primarily used as vacation rentals. The only option (other than a resort, which you said you don't want) would be to rent a private home. A home with good ocean views would be VERY expensive--and probably larger than you need. [/color]

Closer to what? Anywhere you go will offer the same options: a condo; a resort; or a private home. [/color]

<How late in October can be go and still have good weather on the north coast?>

The weather never comes with guarantees. But I would expect it to be good weather (and ocean conditions) through October. Bear in mind that October--especially early October--can be quite hot. Set. and Oct. tend to be the hottest months.

I hope this helps! Good luck planning. The good news is that whatever you decide, you will have a wonderful trip.
Old Apr 12th, 2021, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Songdoc, you are as wonderful as I had imagined. Thank you so much for the suggestions. I'm going to start searching now and my gut tells me to stay in the Princeville area and just find the condo best suited for us. I have no idea what I meant by this "so would somewhere else closer be better?" so just ignore!

I have no problem with it being hot in October. We live close to the coast in California, and although it can get warm at our house, the coast is almost always chilly. We would welcome hot.

I'll let you know which unit I end up renting. Again, thank you!!
Old Apr 12th, 2021, 11:22 AM

We stayed in Hanalei Bay Resort unit 8232 and it was great. This is the one-bedroom condo side of the unit (had our kids with us), there is the less expensive studio side 8231 lockout as well. While a resort this condo was quiet and at the very bottom of the complex, no other units in front of you so unobstructed views to the ocean and Bali Hai. Only downside was a bit of a walk down (then up) from the parking area. Very nice pool area and short walk to Pu’u Poa beach down a path. This was before Covid so don't know if the onsite restaurant/bar or restaurants/bars next door at the St Regis are open. We rented direct from the owner, can’t find their contact info at this time but see it on VRBO:

https://www.vrbo.com/219460

Old Apr 12th, 2021, 08:39 PM

DaveS: Hanalei Bay Resort is wonderful. Friends stayed there in a jungle-facing room and they loved it. But to me, it was definitely a "resort" atmosphere, not different from a hotel. FYI, the Princeville Resort (which was formerly the St. Regis) is closed for approximately another year. It will reopen as an ultra-luxurious "wellness" hotel. So the only restaurant in walking distance to these properties is the Hideaways, a dinner-only pizza and pasta place in Pale Ke Kua. The golf course, about 1/2 mile away, has a snack bar, which is nice for lunch. But most restaurants will require a short drive to the Princeville Shopping center or Hanalei.

AustinTraveler: You are very welcome. Today, I walked to the lookout, which is between Pu'u Poa and Pali Ke Kua. I took these photos to give you an idea of how beautiful the settings are. You can see a bit of each of the complexes.

Pu'u Poa

Pale Ke Kua
Old Apr 12th, 2021, 09:29 PM

Great photos, great memories, Songdoc. Cue Bob Hope...Thanks for the memory!! We stayed in one of the pictured units at PKK. (AustinTraveler, these are the first units as you enter the property, by the first parking lot. The buildings at the back of PKK property have the gorgeous endless ocean view, but no mountain view.)

Please note: condo names under these photos are switched. The upper photo (buildings on right side of photo) ) is Pali Ke Kua. The white buildings in the second photo are Puu Poa.
Old Apr 12th, 2021, 11:15 PM

Dave, that condo looks AMAZING!!! I've been very lucky over the yrs to stay at HBR 3 times, in three different buildings (going back to 1998, before units were sold as private condos and timeshares) but none had these spectacular views or remodeled interiors. This one is gong into the "when I return" list! Thank you!!!
Old Apr 13th, 2021, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Wow, lucky me! Thanks everyone, and thank you Songdoc for the amazing pictures!
Old Apr 13th, 2021, 08:22 PM

You're very welcome, AustinTraveler.

CaliNurse: Oops! Thanks for catching the incorrect captions.
Old Apr 15th, 2021, 11:46 PM

Thank you, Songdoc. I knew only because from the lookout, we could see our PKK condo on the bluff. Ahhhh...bliss.
Old Apr 16th, 2021, 05:14 PM

Ahhhh, indeed!
I walked by again this morning. After a rainy, windy March, it has been sooooo beautiful out.