Solo Trip To DC

Feb 4th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Solo Trip To DC

I'm going to DC all by myself in March. I'm a 27 year old female and just want to know good hints for doing solo stuff in DC. I've never been to DC before, nor have a been on a solo vacation.

Your help is appreciated!

Thanks!
Feb 4th, 2009, 01:52 PM

What do u like to do? How long will u be in DC? U might look at some of the DC threads on this forum to get an idea of the variety of things available in DC.
Feb 4th, 2009, 01:54 PM

What are your interests? Just about anything you could do with someone else in DC I've done alone -- monuments, important buildings, theater, museums, gardens, wandering through neighborhoods.
Feb 4th, 2009, 02:28 PM

The thing that freaks most people out about traveling alone is eating by yourself. The great thing about DC is that it is full of single people and business travelers who are (a) eating by themselves and (b) used to people eating by themselves.

When I travel alone, I like to eat at the bar. Since there's no smoking in DC, this has become much easier. When you eat at the bar, you have the bartender to chat with (or not), other patrons to chat with (or not), and usually a TV. I always take something to read. Heck, I've even taken a laptop.

There are plenty of places in DuPont Circle, Adams Morgan, Logan Circle, and Penn Quarter where you will feel comfortable eating alone. Hotel bars and restaurants are going to be full of people eating alone.

All of the neighborhoods I mentioned, plus Georgetown (although it isn't my favorite place) would be good places to stay or at least go by yourself. Window shopping, plenty of people on the street, people around after 7pm.
Feb 4th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Original Poster

I'll be in town from March 17 and leaving the morning of the 22nd. I'm staying over by GWU. I'm into bars, especially dive bars. I'm a friendly person and love meeting people from all walks of life. I'm a US history buff, which is the main reason I am going, but just looking for some good places to eat, drink and maybe places off of the beaten path that might spark an interest!
Feb 12th, 2009, 04:08 AM

I hope you get more responses. I'll try to think of some good bars and return. For now, I can only suggest that you get to Woodrow Wilson's home. I am sure you will find it fascinating if you enjoy history. I also love Hillwood. You should call and ask how easy it is to come and go by cab, however, because I don't think it is easily accessible by public transportation.
Feb 12th, 2009, 07:49 AM

U might take a look at this thread -- it has an amazing number of places to visit and see in DC.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=35179849

I don't recall a lot on "bars, especially dive bars" but lots of DC sites are on it
Feb 12th, 2009, 10:51 AM

If you like beer, check out RFD in Penn Quarter/Chinatown area.

http://www.lovethebeer.com/rfd.html

In that area, you can enjoy a casual good meal at Matchbox, or maybe a better meal (in a nicer restaurant) at Zaytinya...depends on what you're in the mood for.

Georgetown area has a lot of bars, but you'll also find a lot of college-aged kids there.

Adams Morgan also has a big selection of bars to choose from...very easy to be taken to Adams Morgan and wander from bar to bar. My favorite thing about Adams Morgan after a night of bar hopping is the pizza at Pizza Mart...slices are huge and greasy, but man do they taste good after drinking.