Reload this Page >

Solo Monterey Bay vacation

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2005, 08:58 PM
b_in_d

I'm finally attempting to take a solo vacation so I thought I'd first try somewhere that I know fairly well. So I'll be heading to the Monterey area June 23-27. It's been 10 years since the last time I was there and almost 20, God 20, years since I was stationed with the Army at Ft. Ord.

I'm staying in Pacific Grove and outside of a day of driving around and visiting old haunts, I don't really have any other plans. I'm just looking to get away from work and my regular life and just rest and relax.

My biggest concern would be dining alone. I don't mind it so much, but it's a little weird. I don't want to hit fast food simply because it's easy. Maybe this is all just mental and I should just go and have a good meal.

I always liked the Tuck Box in Carmel, and it looks to still be there. Any other places for a solo diner? Money is not a big concern, but a good experience and good food are. Best Chinese? Best French?

Any other suggestions? Again, just looking to relax, I don't want to rush around and stand in long lines. I'd much rather sit on the beach, but don't want to do that the entire time either.

I'm getting excited. It's been 2 years since I've actually had a proper vacation and I really need it. Already planning NYC in the fall.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Brian in Denver

Old May 27th, 2005, 04:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Ok, I haven't dined alone in the area, but I see many people that do, especially when there's a convention in town, so you won't be alone, so to speak, dining alone. There's a couple of places in Carmel, PG and Monterey where there's outside patio dining, and more conducive to people watching, one of the great things to do when dining alone.

If you were stationed at Ft. Ord 20 years ago, my guess is that you are still plenty active enough to ride a bike and kayak. That's what I'd do. The bike path goes on forever, I think from Seaside all the way south down the coast past Pacific Grove. There's a couple places (same company) in Monterey that rents bikes. They come with locks, so you can stop, lock, and walk along the beach and check out the deer (just south of the Aquarium), seals and sea lions, etc.

I'd also suggest (whether you enjoyed your experience at Ft. Ord or not) to drive over to the old army base, which is now the home to Cal. State University at Monterey Bay, and have a look around at what this 10 year old university has done to the base and what has been planned. Some of the army barracks are still there, now abandoned, and they will eventually be renovated or demolished to make way for more university buildings.
Old May 27th, 2005, 06:47 AM
b_in_d

Absolutely, I plan to hit the old Ft. Ord. Loved my experience there.

Biking isn't something I thought of, but that's a good idea. I'll check into it. The place I'm staying in PG says it has a fitness center, which is why I picked it. A good long bike ride would be awesome.

I'm a fan of independant and foreign movies. Does anyone know of a theater that specializes in these in the area? Maybe a jazz club?

I also see that there's a Blues Festival the same weekend so that will be another day right there.

Thanks for the help!! Any more?

Old May 27th, 2005, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We were just in Carmel. Yes, definitely hit the bike paths that run along the coast. The Forge in the Forest has a nice outdoor patio for dining, Casanova also is another one for great food and patio dining.

In Monterey, Schooner's Bistro at the Plaza has a beautiful outdoor patio. I love the fish and chips there. There is a rooftop spa, also if you would like a little pampering. Have a great trip! ***kim***
Old May 27th, 2005, 03:09 PM
SAB

Places I have eaten by myself in Pacific Grove/Carmel at night; Passionfish, Bahama Billy's, Fishwife, Grasings, Village Corner, La Boheme Places that I would not--White House, Cassanova--too many couples going for the "romance". Eating lunch alone never seems to be as big a deal.
Old May 27th, 2005, 03:18 PM
b_in_d

I had read a review of The Forge and it reminded me of the Hog's Breath. But then I looked and I guess they're 2 different places. I'll check it out.

Love fish and chips! Thanks for the hint.

Lunch never seems to be an issue for me either, so much as dinner.

The last time I was at the aquarium was when they were filling Star Trek 4 there. I'd like to go again. Any advice on tickets and avoiding lines?

Thanks again everyone! Very helpful!

Old May 27th, 2005, 03:45 PM

The Monterey Fish House is a popular local restaurant for seafood and steaks, and people sit at the bar eating dinner. Its located in a kind of industrial area away from Fisherman's Wharf. Another place is Katy's in Carmel which serves great breakfasts and has a counter area for solo diners. Have a great trip.
Old May 27th, 2005, 06:13 PM

We'll be in Monterey June 22-26, then to the Russian River area for another 2 nights....My husband is from San Jose/Santa Cruz.

I looked at the Fodors restaurant guide under "Destinations" Monterey Peninsula for ideas. He has some ideas for eating so if they are any different than what is suggested here, I'll repost.

HAve fun and wish us luck for good weather! Where is the Blues festival?
Old May 28th, 2005, 01:30 AM

http://www.montereyblues.com/schedule.html
Old May 28th, 2005, 04:42 AM

Hi Brian,
I go to the Monterey area every Aug for car week (for 15+ years) and always stay in Pacific Grove, it is my favorite-quiet and relaxing. Don't miss the walk along Asilomar beach,there are great walking/jog trails and I think you can rent bikes in downtown PG. A great place in PG for breakfast is Toastie's, but it can be busy on weekends and Lighthouse Cafe is also good for breakfast. There is a great coffee house on PG and don't miss the Scotch Bakery in PG if you just want morning coffee and rolls on the beach. For a great lunch, take Hwy 1 south to Big Sur to Nepenthe. It is casual, fun and the view is spectacular-worth the drive. If you want fun, funky casual dinner, try the Hula Grill on Lighthouse Ave., I never miss it. Not exactly gourmet but alot of fun people there and not your average family/couples place. I also like dinner at Mission Ranch (good piano bar) and Tarpy's Roadhouse also, if you want a truly gourmet dinner-try Pacific's Edge at the Highlands Inn-outstanding! If you really want low-key dining, drive up to Castroville and try the Central Texan BBQ. Meeting the owner is worth the trip, he is up front slicing the bbq brisket. Be warned-it is no frills dining but such fun. I think you will love staying in PG. Have a great trip!
Old May 28th, 2005, 06:26 AM

If you love jazz, be sure to pop into KRML station. It's inside a store that sells cd's and hosts many jazz concerts.

Another nice place for a dinner splurge is The Old Bath House. Seated before 6 there is a 4course meal for $29. It was great two weeks ago. Artichoke, lobster bisque, mixed seafood grill (salmon, prawns,scallops) with lemon risotto, and choice of dessert. Later it's kind of a couples place, but early we saw several solo diners.
Old May 28th, 2005, 09:40 AM

The Old Bath House is excellent, we have enjoyed many early bird dinners there. Beautiful views of the ocean from the dining room and service is always excellent. ***kim***
Old May 28th, 2005, 07:36 PM
E

I have a couple of ideas for you! First off, I second the suggestion of Monterey's Fish House--great food, not at all stuffy, and lots of people eat at the bar. Another idea is sushi--sitting at the bar as a singleton is never awkward. We like Ichiban on Lighthouse, they're very friendly there, but there are others in the area. Gianni's Pizza (also on Lighthouse) makes some awesome pies, which you can get to go without condemning yourself to crummy fast food.

As for movie theaters, there's a nice multiplex at the Del Monte Center mall, and a not-as-nice one in downtown Monterey, and a third, smaller multiplex in PG, BUT: we used to love an independent called the Dream Theater. Does anyone know if it's still open? It was awesome for independent and foreign films.

Lastly, let me plug Point Lobos State Park outside Carmel--great scenery.

Enjoy your trip!
Old May 28th, 2005, 11:39 PM

another plug for Pt Lobos. You might check out the Monterey Fish House. Dining solo should not be an issue. I think they also have a counter. It's great fresh fish offerings in a lively atmosphere.
Old May 29th, 2005, 07:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Tips on the aquarium -- get the ticket from your hotel. Same price as you'd pay in line, and you can go two days in a row. Also, with ticket in hand, you can walk right in and not have to wait in the huge line. If your hotel doesn't have them, ask them if they have any friends at hotels that do (i.e. Marriott, etc.). If you walk into the Marriott, you can probably just go to the concierge, ask for a ticket and pay for it right there when they give you the option of paying now or adding it to the room bill. There's a new display with lots of historical photos about canning industry at the Aquarium and they have some new otters. Now that I think about it, it's completely changed (and grown) since you were last there. You'll love it.

For jazz, independent movie theatres, etc. there's a weekly free paper that lists all that stuff once you get there. You can also go to monterey.com for more info, but it's not an ideal website, in my opinion. But it does give you ideas.
Old May 29th, 2005, 08:43 AM
b_in_d

Wow, I take a day off and I come back to lots of great help. Thanks to everyone!

Uh oh, E mentioned sushi! I'm one of the few people I know who likes sushi, so that will be fun. They had a sushi battle on Iron Chef last night!

With all the great suggestions I wish I'd taken a longer vacation. But of the many places I've been in the US, the Monterey/Carmel area is at the top of the list of favorites. I just need to go more often.

My recollection is fuzzy on this, but I vaguely remember 20 years ago, a place near the Presidio called Duffy Hunters. Seems like it was part bar, part burger joint. The burgers were really good anyway. It came up on ChowHounds as Duffy's Tavern on High Street. Any opinions of the current incarnation?

Thanks for the advice on aquarium tickets. I'll check with the inn to see if they have them available.

Any thoughts on the Laguna Seca raceway?

I'm going to digest the advice and might have a few more questions, but you've all been very helpful. In return when I get back I'll write a good review and offer some help.

Thanks again everyone!

Old May 30th, 2005, 05:25 AM

Laguna Seca Raceway-they have a website and you can check the race schedule. I don't think they have anything going in June but you might google and see what's up. They have the best racetrack "cuisine". If you like racing, the Monterey Historic Races in August are worth a trip to Laguna Seca.
Check it out on the website.
Old May 30th, 2005, 07:04 AM

Kayak in the bay with the otters
Old May 30th, 2005, 08:45 AM

A good Sushi bar in Pacific Grove is Ocean Sushi on David Ave. Not a tourist place, mostly friendly locals. I have eaten there solo and always felt very comfortable.
Old May 30th, 2005, 08:48 AM

If you do make it to Laguna Seca, consider finding a spot in the shade to view The Corkscrew, which is a down hill S-curve on the racetrack. Great for shutterbugs, as you can capture many angles of the same vehicle from that one spot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -