Search

Solo in Boston?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2004, 09:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Solo in Boston?

Message: I hope to travel from Philadelphia to Boston in late April/early May. I'm thinking of a 4-day weekend for some much needed R & R. Since I'll be alone, location is more of consideration than it might be if I was with a group. Are there any areas/hotels that you'd recommend for a single woman? Anyplace that I should avoid? My hotel budget allows for US$150-200/night and my interests are those of the typical vacationer (e.g., museums, shopping, local sites of interest, etc). Thanks.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 05:07 AM

Do you want info for Boston or San Diego?
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 07:03 AM

Of the places you are considering - San Diego, Boston and Toronto (or somewhere else) - Boston is the most expensive but has the best museums and most historical sites to see. However, if you want to go on a weekend, you MUST go in April. Weekends in May are booked solid 12 months in advance because of all the commencements in the 20+ colleges in the Boston area. Don't even think about that in May.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 07:38 AM

I have to disagree that Boston has a lock on the museum scene between the three cities. Toronto has the Royal Ontario Museum and there is nothing in Boston to compare to that. Toronto also has the Art Gallery of Ontario which is terrific. Here in Boston we have the Museum of Fine Arts and Isabelle Stewart Gardner. Both cities have science museums. And San Diego does have the zoo as well as the small museums in Balboa Park.

I'd have to say that any of these cities would make a very nice trip for a single person. All three have plenty of restaurants, shopping, sightseeing etc. I'd almost give the edge to TO because of the exchange rate.

Also April 19 in Boston is the marathon. If you can get a hotel its a great time to be in the city.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 06:07 PM

- Take a stroll along the Charles River (great views, people watching and sailboats). In May you'll start to see ducklings if you get over there early enough.

- Walk down Charles Street (quaint shops) and Newbury Street (pricey shops)

- Walk through the Boston common (see the frog pond) and public garden and take a ride on the Swan Boats (get there early in the morning so you don't have to wait in line - may not open until late May)

During your walk through the public gardens (Charles Street entrance), don?t forget to stop by the ?duckling? monument put up to honor the classic story of a family of Mallard ducks in downtown Boston from the book ?Make Way for Ducklings? by Robert McCloskey, Viking, 1941, A Caldecott Medal winner - if you are there on mother's day there's a kids parade through the park.

A copy of the book makes a great gift for kids. It can be found at most Boston gift shops. I give it to all new mothers as part of the shower or christening gift.

- Spend an afternoon in Harvard Square (lots of shops, really great people watching and lots of history)

- Take a Duck Boat Tour. This is the best way to ride by all the sights. It is a land and water tour which you can catch at the Prudential or Science Museum(reserve ahead). Not only do you get to see the harbor but you get to ride in it (all kids on board get a chance to drive the boat for a minute or two). The guys who ride are really animated, in costumes and tell obscure historical stories (like the great Boston molasses flood).

- Eat dinner in the North End (Italian section) and then have desserts at Mike's Pastry (or look for a quaint coffee shop). Over by the water there is usually a group of old Italian men playing outdoor bocce ball - it's great to watch.

- Depending on what you like, stop by Charleston to see the Constitution, Bunker Hill Monument and then stop by the Warren Tavern for lunch or dinner (small, quaint and great food - gets a little too crowded for me on Wednesday nights)

- See a Red Sox Game and get a tour of Fenway Park

- Head up to Gloucester, Newburyport, Portsmouth NH, Salem, Rockport or down to Cape Cod for a day to see the ocean or check out some of the witch museums (Salem)

- Boston has a lot of great parks. My favorite is the Back Bay Fens. Local residents who don't have a yard take a spot and turn it into their own garden. There is literally hundreds of these, all beautiful (near Kenmore Square).

This site lists many of the parks:
http://www.emeraldnecklace.org/tourtheparks.htm

- You may also want to consider a day at the Science Museum. If you don't want to take the entire day you can get tickets to their Omni theater which is quite good (a few hours for a show).

- The JFK library is also great (takes a few hours).

- Then there's the aquarium & IMAX theater (although I have been to much better aquariums in other cities - the best in Valencia, Spain)

- I'd skip Fanuel Hall and the Cheers Bar and stay away from all the dives on Route 1 and Revere Beach.

Boston is pretty safe. Stay near Copley or the Back Bay - I also like the Mariott Longwharf but I think it's probably pricy.

Old Apr 7th, 2004, 06:20 PM

Lenox Hotel in Back Bay Area is good. Anything off of Newbury Street is a real nice safe area (near Prudential Center) with outdoor cafes etc.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 07:15 PM

I'd stay at the Sheraton Copley to be close to shopping and dining. Also, I'd definitely book the North End Culinary tour ahead of time. A guided walking tour (Michelle Topor) of the "little Italy" with shopping and cooking tips. The Duck Tour is a lot of fun, too, and I beleive still departs from the Prudential center, which is close to the hotel mentioned above. Boston also has plenty of spas, theatre, and musical venues.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 03:33 AM

FYI, the Swan Boats in the Public Garden always start their season for Patriots Day weekend; this year, opening day is Saturday, April 17. The season's Duck Tours have already begun.

For a hotel, any Priceline 3 or 4 * hotel in Copley/Back Bay or Downtown would be fine; go to www.biddingfortravel.com to learn about how to get a great room in Boston for under $100.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 06:01 AM
Cassandra

My interests are the same as yours, and I've stayed alone at the Newberry Guest House near Copley Sq. -- Newberry St is sort of Boston's Rodeo Drive; Irving House B&B in Cambridge, in a residential area very close to Harvard Sq. and the T; and the John Jeffries at the foot (or head?) of Beacon Hill, with an entrance to the Charles St. T station right out front. Recommend them all.