Reload this Page >

Solitude v. Pk city & lodging help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 07:13 PM
em

Planning our first family trip to ski in the west.
Utah skiing appeals to us since it is so close to a major airport. We are beginners and intermediates, boarders and skiier.
Which Mt would you suggest? Also, moderately priced lodging (hotel, condo) ideas--want quiet rooms and quiet location. In park city, which area fits the bill best. Do not care about nightlife but good food a plus. Thanks!
Thanks so much.

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 10:38 PM
Dayle

Dear Em, Park City might be the best choice just because there are 3 areas here - Park City Mtn Resort (the original ski mountain & former silver mine), Deer Valley and The Canyons. Deer Valley doesn't allow boarding however. Plenty of terrain at all 3 suitable for beginners/intermediates. Park city also has more lodging options. There are all price ranges of condos and several hotels. Least costly would be Holiday Inn Express & Landmark Best Western at Kimball Junction, but those are about 5 miles from the historical Main Street of Park City and are in a very busy commercial/shopping area. Both have shuttle service to the lifts. Next up the chain would be the Radisson & The Yarrow, both very close to Park City Mtn. Resort & both on PC free shuttle bus system. Condos are too many to mention and vary widely. If reserving a condo, be sure to ask when it was last renovated, be sure to get your $$ worth!

Solitude is a great place & in Big Cottonwood Canyon next to Brighton Ski area. Lodging & dining is much more limited in the canyon however. Very little to do other than ski or cross country.

Write back if you would like more info. We're really excited about the Olympics! The scoreboards, grandstands & banners are up and the snow is great! Be sure to visit the Olympic Park. It's an amazing facility, bobsleds, luge, skeleton, ski jumps & summer training facility for freestyle ariels. They go off the "kicker" into a giant swimming pool. Ski jumpers practice in the summer too. It's a real treat.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 06:28 AM
em

Dayle, thanks so much! I do have a few other questions. Do you think last wk of March we will be safer in Solitude?
Between the Radisson (Marriot also had ok prices) and Yarrow--any preference? Quiet and location are my priorities.
Will the Olympic pk be open in March and still have activities? Any other touristic stuff to do within a few hrs of SLC? Thanks!

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 07:52 AM
Dayle

Dear Em, I'm not sure what you mean by "safer". For snow quality, Solitude is higher elevation and the Big & Little Cottonwood Canyons get way more snow than Park City, so yes, the snow would be better, just because it always is.

I think the Marriott is the nicest of the 3 hotels, but I don 't care much for it's location. That's just a personal thing. It's just as close as the other 2. Not much difference between the Yarrow & the Radisson. The Yarrow is larger & has it's pool & hot tub in an interior courtyard. The Radisson has its pool out in front on the main highway. Yarrow does a lot of large business meetings because it has the facilities. Meeting rooms are at the front of the hotel however, so if you really want to be sure of quiet ask for a room further back. Both are on the free shuttle bus route & a few block away from historical Main Street. Same with Marriott.

It's snowing hard outside right now!

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 07:56 AM
Dayle

PS - I'm not sure if the Olympic Park will be open again for public tours by end of March. It may be, you could call. It just closed last week in prep for the Olympics. It's taken about the last 3 months to put up all the tents, bring in all the trailers (security, press, restrooms), and assemble the grandstands & scoreboards. The Park also has a new ski musuem that I haven't seen yet, but I hear is wonderful.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 05:09 PM
terry

We were also trying to decide between Park City and Solitude, and tended towards Solitude because we had been to PC before. However, after looking at the lodging choices decided on PC. You can rent a nice condo there by going to www.vrbo.com or www.cyberrentals.com .

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 05:49 PM
Susan

Daryl,

Sounds like you live in Utah. We will be arriving in Park City on Feb 2nd and stay for a week leaving on the 9th. We love Utah snow and hope the crowds won't be a problem for the slopes. Do you know of anything going on before the Opening Day that we might enjoy attending?

Susan

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 09:07 PM
Dayle

hi Susan! Sounds like you might be a member of the infamous Phoenix Ski Club? Yes, I live in Park City & have skied Utah for 30 years. The slopes should not be crowded at all - because all the rooms will be taken with Olympic spectators, teams, media, etc. the skiing has been wonderfully UNcrowded so far this year! You will be in Park City for the Torch Relay on the 7th! It's scheduled to pass through Park City around 1PM down Main Street. Coming in from the east and traveling out on Hwy 224 through the Kimball Junction area where I live.

I can't tell you how thrilling (and cool) it is to see the ski jumps from your deck and to have Olympic gold medalists and team hopefuls as neighbors. They really work hard & sacrifice a lot & deserve all the appreciation we can give them. Even more so all the people who work behind the scenes to support our athletes!

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 06:29 AM
Barbara

The majority of people who ski Solitude and Brighton don't stay at the resort, but drive up from the valley each day and stay in Salt Lake, Sandy, etc. Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons are beautiful - well worth spending at least a day skiing. Have fun!