Reload this Page >

help planning meeting location

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 11:04 AM
jennifer

I want some help from those of you who travel a lot. Part of my job is to help the VP of sales at my company (based in St. Louis) plan our annual sales meeting. We are planning our 2004 sales meeting (mid to late summer 2004). This is an opportunity for the senior sales staff to entertain the national sales reps and get them pumped up to go back out and sell our products. Many of these guys (and women) bring spouses/kids, so I am looking for a well-rounded place where their families will have something to do while the sales staff is in meetings, etc.

We have narrrowed the list to New Orleans, Dallas, Miami, Boston, Atlanta and Philadelphia. I have gotten room and meeting space info from the various visitors bureaus, and I've only been to two on our list (Dallas and NOLA) but thought I would survey the average traveler (i.e., you).

Our 2002 event will be in Chicago, 2003 in LA (and we tend to stick with larger cities). We couldn't get very good deal in NYC for the dates we wanted.

Any input on our 6 options (Dallas, NOLA, Atlanta, Boston, Philly, and Miami) above?

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 11:27 AM
xxx

It all looks pretty hot and miserable to me. I'd think about San Diego, Seattle or Portland.

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 11:34 AM
patg

Boston is a great city for families and visitors. It's compact, historical, charming, and cool compared to St. Louis in summer; also has very reasonable airfares from the midwest, usually about $200 from Chicago.

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 03:50 PM
jan

I'd go with Boston, Philly or even DC - always something to do - in DC all of it, or most of it free and weather will never be an issue (lots to do inside and out!) Boston and Philly are national Treasure tours - offering history, art, or nature -

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 05:25 AM
jennifer

Thanks for the replies, but my options are limited to the 6 cities our sales committee has chosen. Any more input from better-traveled fodorites?

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 05:42 AM
Peter

With your choices, I would go with Philadelphia. Plenty to do in Philly and you could also take a day trip to
NYC (1 1/2 hour by train).

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 06:12 AM
humidity

I love New Orleans, but made the mistake of going in August. That will never happen again. The humidity is AWFUL - unbearable, really.

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 06:19 AM
Arabella

Boston or Philly. Lots for families to do in either city and the heat/humidity won't be as oppressive as in Miami, New Orleans or Atlanta.

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 06:46 AM
bennie

Boston is the only real choice on your list. Philly is okay but hardly generates enthusiam for your sales force. Boston is full of interesting things to do. Check with Fenway to see if you can arrange for a group to see the Red Sox. They accommodate large groups at the 600 Club and the Diamond Club. Also the Science Musuem will host large events as does the New England Aquarium. The events at the aquarium are particularly fun - they are located right on Boston Harbor and stage clambakes in a tent overlooking the harbor and they will close the facility down so just your group will see the exhibits. The Musuem of Fine Arts does the same- they have a beautiful restaurant that they will close down for you. I've attended events at Fenway, the Aquarium and the MFA and all were really well done and enjoyed by the guests.