Reload this Page >

SNOWMOBILING YELLOWSTONE?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2002, 04:28 AM
BOB

We are planning a January trip to Jackson Hole and were wondering if they will still permit snowmobiling in Yellowstone? We were there 2 winters ago and they were talking about banning it soon. Any info would be appreciated. Thank you

Old May 25th, 2002, 06:22 AM
xxx

Bob, I called Jackson Hole with the same question not long ago. The response I received was "maybe". For me that is not a reassuring answer so rather than make firm plans I'm looking elsewhere.

Old May 25th, 2002, 07:52 AM
Dayle

Bob, the ban on snowbmobiling in Yellowstone was supposed to start this last winter, if I remember correctly. However, the snowmobile industry & tour operators lobbied enough to get the gov to back off. They are proposing using new, quieter, less poluting machines & being allowed to continue.

Personally, I'm very much against it. Did you know that the exhaust fumes at the West Yellowstone park entrance are so bad that the rangers at the gate have to wear respirators? Unfortunately,the animals & trees don't have any options.

You can always snowmobile outside the park. West Yellowstone is like a Harley rally on snow during winter months.

You can also go into the Old Faithful Geyser Basin via "snowcoach", a vehicle on tank treads. Reservations required & they take you from West Yellowstone to the Snow Park Inn at Old Faithful. Most people stay at least overnight to enjoy the park in winter. There is also cross country skiing & snowshoeing around the geyers.

Have fun!

Old May 25th, 2002, 01:31 PM
Connie

We snowmobiled Yellowstone on the last day of this season (and maybe forever?) this year. The outfitters in West Yellowstone didn't seem concerned at all that it was all over and that is a huge part of their income.

I've see the "propoganda" on TV about air pollution in the park. I didn't see anything like what they are talking about. They show all this "exhaust" at the gates. All that is is steam from a hot exhaust on a cold day just like any car does. As for lines of sleds, we were never in any line. Then, they talk about the animals. Believe me, they are not at all afraid of the sleds. Just like in the summer, they are used to people at noise.

You can't tell me that the small number of snowmobiles in winter compared to the huge amount of cars in the summer is worse.

To appease the environmentalist, they now have four stroke sleds that are quiet and less polluting that you can rent or buy.

FYI, the snowmobiling around West Yellowstone is fabulous. They have 300 miles of groomed trails in a beautiful setting. At one point you can even ride along the ridge of the continental divide.

The people at Alpine West were great.

Old May 25th, 2002, 02:03 PM
RHM

The snowmobiling outside of Yellowstone is better than that in Yellowstone. I was there in December and took a snow coach into Yellowstone then snowmobiled some of the national forest.

We crossed the continental divide via snowmobile and it was AWESOME. I have pictures of my son and I standing in what looks to be a surreal landscape. I just had one picture blown up and am going to hang it in my office.

I can see why they want to ban snowmobiles in Yellowstone. They are loud and somewhat annoying...though I don't live there nor do I make my living renting snowmobiles so I am not going to express an opinion one way or the other.

Heck, don't worry about the park. Even if it is closed to snowmobiles (which I doubt will happen,) there are plenty of other beautiful places to snowmobile.

We rented one two-stroke and one four-stroke. The four stroke was like a Caddilac, the two-stroke was like a dirt bike.

RHM

Old May 25th, 2002, 04:12 PM
xxxxxxxxxx

RHM WHere do you snowmobile outside Yellowstone? South (Jackson) or North (Gardiner)?

Old May 27th, 2002, 09:13 AM
Connie

As stated above, West Yellowstone is a snowmobile mecca. They have 300 miles of groomed trails in an awesome setting. They even let you ride your sleds on most of the streets in town.

We used Alpine West last year and were well pleased.

Do NOT ride two to a sled. It just isn't worth what you save--too rough.

Old May 27th, 2002, 10:34 AM
RHM

We snowmobiled out of West Yellowstone. You can enter the park there or elect for miles and miles of groomed trails in adjoining national forest.

Get out early when the trails are freshly groomed as they develop small berms which make them rough as more people ride over them.

Connie is correct, get two snowmobiles. My minor son rode on the back with me and it wasn't a problem but it is preferable to ride solo. My wife was somewhat concerned about driving a snowmobile but it was no problem at all.

We are definately planning to go snowmobiling again. It was a real hoot. If by chance the park is closed to snowmobiles when you go, don't let that deter you, the other areas are fantastic.

Have fun,

RHM

Old May 27th, 2002, 10:42 AM
xxxx

RHM and Connie,
I would have to disagree about the comment of two per vehicle. Not saying my perspective is "correct" but simply that personally I felt my wife and I enjoyed the time togther on the snowmobile and most of all, after a LONG, tiring day it was a well needed rest to switch off!

Old May 28th, 2002, 11:08 AM
Connie

We were on fairly new sleds and it was VERY painful to ride on the back. I was in tears before I got off. Every bump was bone jarring. It wouldn't be so bad if you hit bumps only occassionaly but even on good trails you sometimes hit many in a row. On rough trails it is like that for miles-just one jolt after another.