Snowmobiling in Yellowstone

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 02:11 PM
Robert

Snowmobiling in Yellowstone

I've been to Yellowstone a number of times but never in the winter. I am considering taking my wife and son snowmobiling in Yellowstone the week after Christmas.

Being from Florida, I've never ridden much less driven a snowmobile though I don't think it would pose much of a challenge. I would like to hear from others who have done this. We are planning on flying into Bozeman and driving to West Yellowstone for lodging and snowmobile rental.

How much of a chance is there that we could get snowed in and not be able to drive back to Bozeman and miss our return flight. The pictures of Yellowstone in the winter are beautiful and we are excited about this trip.

We will have four days in West Yellowstone as planned now. Any tips for snowmobile outfitters or who to stay away from would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Robert

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 02:52 PM
Howard

I'm not a snowmobiler, but, I must react to one comment you made--"I've never ridden much less driven a snowmobile though I don't think it would pose much of a challege."
Don't underestimate the vehicle. It's not a little toy. An aquaintance of ours was killed in a snowmobile accident in Yellowstone a year and a half ago.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 03:55 PM
Robert

I have no intention of doing any "hotdoging" or anything atypical. All I meant was it does not appear to me to be that sophisticated of a vehicle to operate. I intend to abide by the rules. I'll have my son on the back of my machine and you can rest assured I'll be very cautious.

Four people drowned in one day here in Pensacola last week. One more drowned the next day. Absolutely the worst rip tide we've had in years. Not to mention the family that lost their son and daughter in a waverunner accident last year. All the victims were tourist. I am well aware of the need to be vigilant, point taken.

Robert

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 04:06 PM
icepilot fan

Robert- We are also in Pensacola and did the Yellowstone snowmobiling in January on a ski trip to Jackson Hole. IT WAS A BLAST and the park was as beautiful as our beaches. E mail me and I'll tell you all about it.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 04:12 PM
Amy

I rode on the back of a snowmobile last year (in Telluride, CO) and I swore I would get my own snowmobile should I ever do it again. The tracks were a bit rutted, and every bump had me straining to hold on and not fly off. We weren't going that fast (we were all first timers with a guide), but my arms ached from trying not to fly off the back. Just something to keep in mind while you have your son on the back - go slow, and don't fly over any bumps lest you lose him off the back...
As I said, that was my first and only trip, so maybe it isn't typical, but perhaps you should ask the guide you're going with (or company you're renting from)... That being said, I would definitely do it again, but drive my own snowmobile.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 04:18 PM
Howard

Robert, don't get me wrong. I wasn't making an anti-snowmobiling statement but responding to casual approach to the experience. I can assure that the person who was killed (she broke her neck) was not hotdogging. And, noting Amy's comment about riding on the back of the vehicle.....that's what this person was doing!

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 04:39 PM
Bison

Yellowstone snowmobiles use the same roads that are driven on in the summer. They are groomed daily and well marked. I do not see any way possible that some one paying attention could get injured much less killed on one. I rode on th e back of one for over 80 miles and had no problem at all.

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 05:06 AM
J T Kirk

They (park officials) have been discussing for the last several years whether or not to ban snowmobiles in the park. There has been some concern that the noise upsets the wildlife (and it's probably true. Over the years I've noticed that the animals no longer seem to come as close to the road as in years past). Of a greater concern, is that the noise can (and has) contributed to avalaches. One winter I was there and the park was closed because of avalance threat. Food for thought.

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 05:55 AM
Robert

Howard how in the world does someone break their neck riding on the back of a snowmobile? I am Just curious, can you amplify on that a little. I've broken my neck and by the grace of God I can still walk, talk, etc.. I've snow skied, barefoot water skied, and participated in many other high activity sports since my accident whe I was 19 (I am now 42).

Bison...there ya go, everything I've read indicates that the trails are well groomed. JT Kirk, yep, I am aware of the threat of closure and I can understand why they would due to the racket. If they are anything like jet skis they can be annoying. I am not taking a swipe at jet skis, just making an analogy.

Icepilot, I am VERY interested in how your trip was. I am just getting into my office and need to bang some work out.

Thanks for all the responses.

Regards,

Robert