Snorkelling in Maui

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 03:37 PM
Pip

Snorkelling in Maui

We are going to Maui in Sept. and cannot seem to find info on snorkelling companies/boat trips. Anyone recommend any on the west side? Also which beaches are best to snorkel from? Thank you.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 05:53 PM
Michelle

We just went to Maui in July. We went snorkeling at Black Rock & Honolua Bay. Honolua Bay was by far the better of the two. We rented snorkeling gear from Snorkel Bob's for a reasonable price. West of Honolua Bay there was another place to snorkel called Slaughterhouse Beach, I think it was called. It had a sandy beach whereas Honolua was all rock but we sure did see some nice fish & we got some awesome pictures. The snorkel trips are fairly expensive & I heard ppl say that you could see almost the same thing from shore. The trips include a meal but I heard that there were too many ppl so it was not that great. I am jealous. I want to go back so bad.

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 07:43 AM
Pip

Thank you for your advice.

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 08:00 AM
biker

We were there in May@Sheraton. Black rock was nice (and handy) especially since we stayed there. Honolua Bay was good. Took the Lanai snorkel from Trilogy. Fun, but too expensive. Heard Molokini much better. Would shop around for boat companies also.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 08:28 PM
riggs

When we were on Maui in May 2000- We stayed at the Alii on Kaalapani Beach. We went to the Maui Dive Shop at Whalers Village and rented Snorkel equipment for the week we were there-- (snorkel, mask and fins) and a breakfast trip to Molakani and turtle town was included for I think around 45.00 per person. It was well worth the trip! Boat left from Waliea (sp?) is about an hour away from Kaanapali. It was a good way to make yourself drive to other side of island. Back by noon and explored Keihi(sp?) & real native parts of Maui. People of Maui are so laid back and friendly--wish we all could be this way! Watched the windsurfers along the way back tp Kaanapali.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 08:39 PM
Tammy

was in Maui last March. We took the snorkle trip to Molokini-BIG disapointment. The crater was very crowded and there were very few fish. The boat was nice and the lunch okay but quite expensive-especially to hardly see any fish. However, we loved honolua Bay! We figure when we go back we will forget the boat trips and just visit all the places we can snorkle from shore.

Have Fun!

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 08:47 PM
Cin

Well, if you decide to forgo the snorkel boat companies, you might want to try out the kayak touring companies who offer snorkeling to "Turtle Town" etc. You get a little bit of a workout plus the guide is great at putting you in the right spots. On our trip we got incredible up close shots of the sea turtles. I found a number of companies on the web the group we went with is based in Kihei which is on the southeast side. Good luck hope you have a great time!

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 05:08 AM
PABob

Last in Maui in June, 2000 and we took the morning FrogmanII trip out of Maalea. Thought it was great but it appears there are many other similar that might be just as good - get the Maui Revealed guidebook for both boats and beaches- its great and very accurate.
We snorkeled at several beaches and thought Ulua was the best we tried, although water was a bit cloudy.
Anyway, the boat trip was around $65 from a discounter. We motored out to Molokini, and in our spot the coral and fish were great, although the deeper water made the color of the coral not as bright as some of the shallow shore spots. Then they took us to "turtle town" - which is wherever they can find turtles, and we could approach right up to (but not touch) several large turtles - a really neat experience and got some great pictures. Then a cold cut buffet lunch, Mai Tais and beer while sailing back. All in all I thought a worthwhile investment even though some of the same stuff can be seen from the beach. I found Molokini a unique place to visit, and loved the chance to see the turtles up close. Two other notes - avoig the less expensive afternoon trips - winds often make for problems. Also, if you snorkel, don't blow the money for one of the submarine trips. In our experience, we went through 100 ft. of empty water to see on the bottom the same sort of reef and reef fish that we saw everywhere else.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 07:16 AM
Barbara

Buy your snorkel equipment it isn't very expensive - who knows whose mouth was on it before yours.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 07:38 AM
GP

Hi Pip

I have been to Maui twice and enjoyed snorkeling there. I did not take a boat trip but went to about 20 different beaches and really enjoyed myself. Try this link
http://www.maui.net/~tkern/beaches.html
for a lot of info. I thought that south maui around Wailea-Makena had some outstanding snorkeling from the beach. Including Ulua, Polo beaches. Kapalua Bay also good. Bbest if you go early.
A note of caution. I grew up on beaches in S. Cailf and swam in the ocean all the time. If you are not used to the ocean be careful it is beautiful but it can be dangerous.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 07:39 AM
ASR

I would recommend the trip to Molokini Crater, but try to go with a group that goes "off-peak". We went with Blue Water Rafting (which is a bit wilder of a ride than the regular boats - pretty fun), but we were the only group at the crater. I think their crater trips leave later and get their between the big groups.

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 02:26 PM
dejahma

Aloha;

We saw turtles every day at black rock last summer. You just need to be there in the am or the early pm. In the evening they are right up on the beach eating the seaweed. People wading didn't even know they were there. They will swim right up to you and if you surface with them will be looking you right in the eye. Just try to avoid touching or chasing them.

I think the snorkel trips are a major rip off. I went on one a couple of years ago only because my sister-in-law insisted. We ended up within swimming distance of the shore area I wanted to drive to. Honolua (sp?) is great in the summer. That is where the Kaanapali snorkel boats go. We actually had to move to let them tie onto their anchor. And we paid nothing, lol.

Also beware of the afternoon Molokini trips. The reason they are so low priced is that they rarely go to Molokini. They claim the wind is too high. As for promising that you will see turtles, we have seen turtles from shore, kayak or snorkeling every time we have been to Hawaii for the past 25 years.

Take one am snorkeling trip just to say you've done it if you have to. Just realize the fish off the shore are closer and just as numerous.