Reload this Page >

Snorkelling in Hawaii

Search

Snorkelling in Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 1998, 03:41 PM
Dennis

Snorkelling in Hawaii

I would like to know about places to snorkel on Oahu, Maui, Kauai, the Big Island. Also paces to see sea turtles and other interesting sea life, including coral - time of the day to go, etc.

Old Aug 26th, 1998, 12:23 PM
madonetwo

Hi, I did some scuba diving in HAwaii in June. There are good snorkeling site in Hanauma(sp) Bay on Oahu, of the shore of MAui at Kaanapali beach, MolokiniCrater on Maui and places on the Big Island. I enjoyed the Big Is most of all. Used Kohala Divers in Kohala, HAwaii, Hawaii. Good luck. Try www.mauinet.com

Old Aug 26th, 1998, 07:36 PM
sgorces

Kapalua Bay on Maui is a great snorkeling spot. The beach is one of the finest on the island. The bay is nicely protected from excessive surf. And the sea life is abundant and beautiful.

Old Aug 29th, 1998, 09:44 PM
natalie

Re: snorkeling options
I would skip Hanauma Bay unless you can get there EARLY...like by 9 a.m. or before. It's the busiest snorkel beach on the island...tour buses, hundreds of people, etc. Unless you're there off season or very early, you may find it overcrowded to the point of obscuring the beauty of the place.

We scuba dove Molokini & it was spectacular, but I'm not sure how much you can see snorkeling...I remember the diving as being fairly deep. There are so many neat beach areas, you may not need to take a boat out, but I don't know Maui very well.

On the Big Island, I'd definitely recommend Kealakekua Bay (Capt. Cook's Monument). You can take any of a dozen catamaran burger & rum punch cruises there to snorkel. A nicer alternative we found was to drive to the pier which is actually across the bay from the monument. You can rent a sit-on-top sea kayak, paddle across the bay, dock at the monument & snorkel around. A little more effort, but much nicer because you can avoid the crowds. Also, a little more of an adventure! (You might check to make sure the kayaks are available before you plan your day!) Anyway,the snorkeling there is spectacular...a lot to see in a relatively small area. Hounounou Bay is also very nice (near city of refuge) There is a tiny public beach south of Kona, also, just before the entry to Kona Coast Resort. It's not much for coral & spectacular colors, but we have always seen sea turtles there. (stick close to the rock ledges at the left of the beach, as you face the sea.) There's lots more we can't remember...The best advice is to go to Snorkel Bob's Dive shop in Oahu or Kona (probably in Maui, also). Get the Snorkel Bob guidebooks...the best & most entertaining info around. Have fun!

Old Sep 1st, 1998, 07:11 AM
Jill

Try the Maui Dive Shop for maps and info on where to snorkel and what times of day are best. Also, the Pacific Whale Foundation on Maui offers 1/2 day snorkeling trips - the oceanography students they hire are great at pointing out all types of sea life.

Old Sep 1st, 1998, 11:07 AM
Russ Evans

On Kauai everyone will recommend Tunnels beach and it is very good but because its easily accessible and often recommended it can get crowded by Kauai standards. I would recommend Hideaways Hideways requires a 5 min steep hike. You will see many interesting a colorful fish including the Humuhumunukunukuapuaa. Have fun.

Old Sep 2nd, 1998, 05:57 AM
david

I would second the Pacific Whale Foundation's trips. Great trip to Lanai with tons of fish, not too crowded and we saw lots of whales and doplhins that came and swam aside the catamaran on the way back. An added bonus is that part of the purchase price goes to research and preservation efforts

Old Sep 4th, 1998, 06:45 PM
Agnes

When we go to Maui,we mostly Whale watch.But last time we took Four Winds to go out.We had such a great time, the crew was friendly, and luckily ended up at the coral gardens, where you can see sea turtles, thousands of fish and not at last eals.It was amazing.Another cruise was on Maui Diamond II, they go to Molokini.Both of them include the snorkel equipments as well. Since we live on Oahu, I wouldn`t recommend Hanauma Bay, it`s just tooooooo busy.But there is a place at Ko`olina Resorts, on the windward side of the island,you can find at least 3little bays next to each other, it`s pretty sweet, peaceful right next to a golf course.Good luck!

Old Sep 4th, 1998, 07:45 PM
Melinda

Kapalua Bay is the best on Maui but take the boat ride to Molokini Crater

Old Sep 7th, 1998, 09:48 AM
JR

Dennis, be sure to wear a t-shirt or other protection while snorkeling! It's a long plane ride home with a sunburned back!!