Snorkeling with Dolphins - Hawaii - Big Island

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We chartered the company "Neptune Charlies." They were awesome! Approx. 6-10 people on each tour, so they keep it to a small group intentionally, so that you can have a better experience. It was also priced much better than most of the other charters. They also make sure you get to see a lot of dolphins! It's not a hit or miss thing. We saw about 40 dolphins and even had a pod of dolphins swim right through our group. We were able to take pictures with our disposable underwater cameras we bought ahead of time. Plus, the tour guides caught an octopus and gave each of us a chance to hold it.

Vince in Las Vegas, NV (9th island)
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 04:25 PM

These dolphin swim companies exploit the dolphins. They intrude into the bays where the dolphins are sleeping or resting and intrude upon the group dynamics. The dolphins need sheltered places to rest safely and there has been a big movement to ban operators that harass them.

Responsible wildlife operators do not allow what OP describes.

Please do not patronize a company like that.
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 04:44 PM

Catching an octopus and passing it around sounds iffy, too. Can't be good to expose sea creatures to human germs.
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 04:47 PM

new member-hmmmm
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 05:16 PM

I'm sure the Octopus really enjoyed being handed around by all those people.

And dolphins are wild animals that are large and potentially dangerous. Before doing any of these activities read carefully the disclaimer they require you to sign - about them not being responsible for anything that might happen.

So - advertising? Or a troll?
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 05:45 PM

He uses his real name and has his street address on his profile?? He took the time to fill out the entire profile page. Advertising, maybe but at least he made it look real.
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 08:14 PM

Filling out the profile page furthers the content of the advertising
Old Jan 29th, 2011, 09:13 AM

At least the dolphins were not captive, as far as I can tell. I did that once in Mexico before I knew better.
Old Feb 9th, 2011, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

WOW! You people have so much negativity and need to get out of your house and explore a little before you criticize! First of all, I am not working for this company, but I am willing to advertise for them as a very pleased customer because that was the best excursion my fiancee and I have ever been on. Unlike you worldly travelers, some of us only can afford to vacation once a year and we make the best of it. I choose to post my comments to help others that may be having a difficult time making decisions for their vacations. Secondly, who are you to judge me and my way of interacting with nature and its animals? Have any of you ever lived outside of a big city? I am very familiar with nature conservation...I lived in Lake Tahoe for 3 years and support the "Keep Lake Tahoe Blue" preservation committee, and I drive a hybrid car! And, if that isn't enough, how many of you are recycling your metals, plastics, glass, and paper weekly? I am! So save your comments for a relative you don't like or for your favorite politician! I don't need attention from you so badly that I would post information on a website, just to get attacked with stupid rhetoric! I think Fodor's should ban all of you haters from posting such negativity. Grow up! And, by the way, this company tour only follows the dolphins during daylight hours! If you knew anything about the dolphins, you would know that they sleep at night like we do! I would suggest asking me or others nicely what their intent is before you ASSUME that we are advertisers or ignorant.
Old Feb 9th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

I also find it funny how none of you use your real name, but commented on the fact that I do. I'll tell you what: I won't ask you why you don't use your real name, if you don't ask me why I do use mine. Having said that, who would you trust? (LOL, so lame.)
Old Feb 9th, 2011, 11:28 AM

Vince, obviously you are a newbie because this topic on any board gets the same response. Boards are rough and tumble, lot of nasty people on the Hawaiian board. If you want to play you gotta pay.

I suggest you read: http://www.hawaiinautical.com/no-swim-with-dolphins

The cites at the bottom are more than interesting.
Old Feb 9th, 2011, 11:59 AM

well that was certainly 3 rage filled posts

thanks for the link wbpiii

in the words of my dear friend Richard in Bermuda - why would you pay to swim with the dolphins, swim with you wife, it's more fun!
Old Feb 9th, 2011, 12:12 PM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...123000488.html
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the support wbpiii and Kealalani. No rage... really none. I just think it's funny how I posted a message to help other consumers choose a fun excursion on their vacation, and I suddenly became the target of some "self-nominated nature rangers", as if I were the next BP Oil CEO. Their comments were rude and self-serving... and I felt someone needed to point that out. That's all. (Tough crowd!)
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 02:03 PM

No worries vinny

I think it's funny - not funny haha - but funny peculiar that this is the only subject you have bothered to post about - be it a VERY controversial subject. Surely you have more to offer a travel forum then this. Yes, you are correct. We are a tough crowd. Suck it up and take a seat, or move on.
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

For you: wbpiii
I looked at the web link you provided. There's no connection between that website and the activities I was involved in. Besides, I grew up surfing with dolphins in SoCal. I'm very familiar with their behaviors. The dolphins actually enjoy and prefer human interaction. Why don't you do some more research, like I did with a buddy of mine, and speak to a marine biologist from UCSD or similar, and you will find contrary information. Please quit judging books by their cover.
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

For you: Kealalani
Do you believe everything you read as factual? If so, then maybe you should follow the advice of that one article written by Elisabeth Chang. So what. A writer for Washington Post has an opinion swimming with dolphins. I have a different opinion. And you should have your own opinion too. If someone writes an article in the Post claiming Boston is a terrible place to live, are you gonna move?
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

I see that some of you are comfortable posting judgments against someone...but don't like having that person to reply back. If you can't backup your opinions, then don't try to force them on others.
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Thank goodness, I'm not seeking attention. People have forgotten common manners.
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 02:27 PM

well gosh darn it, I spent a few summers with scientists at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute. I would look up the views of their elite scientists, but I find your continual aggressive posts to be tiresome and not worthy. Have at it.

http://www.whoi.edu/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -