Snorkeling Puako Reef, BI

Old May 1st, 2007, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snorkeling Puako Reef, BI

Anyone with experience snorkeling this reef from the shore?

We are renting a condo there this fall in the one and only four-story condo building, and have dreams of grabbing our snorkel stuff before breakfast and walking down the road to all kinds of good entry places, does anyone know about the best ones?
Old May 4th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

I guess no one goes to this little corner of the BI...
Old May 4th, 2007, 04:28 PM

I'm also sorry there are no responses! I was curious to see what people had to say. I missed Puako on my trip to the BI and wouldn't mind checking it out next time. It looks great from overhead shots (in the now-scorned Blue Book).
Old May 4th, 2007, 04:59 PM

I've stayed in a house in this area, but I didn't snorkel back then, so I can't help you with that. Loved the area though. I think the Big Island Revealed book has a detailed description of where the best snorkeling spot are in this area.
Old May 4th, 2007, 08:36 PM

We rented a house in Puako about three years ago. Loved the area and there was very good snorkeling right in front of our rental property. I wouldn't define the entry as easy however - it was very rocky so getting in and out was a bit tricky. Most days we went other local places to snorkel using recommendations from the book - Snorkel Hawaii'i The Big Island (by Judy and Mel Malinowski).

I just referred back to the book and it confirms that snorkeling in Puako is very good but challenging - "beginning snorkelers would be wise to snorkel here by boat only."

Don't fret however -- it is a short drive to easier snorkel spots -- I believe it is always best to be cautious - stay safe and have a great time. We loved our vacation on the BI.