snorkeling in Maui, what to wear?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 03:58 PM
Helen

Hi everyone:
I have never snorkeled before and wondered if I need to wear a t-shirt over my bathing suit while snorkeling? Is the water warm? Maui revealed suggested a LYcra wet suit, do I need this? Also I have enclosed boot fins, do I need these? Wear them over reef shoes? Thanks for your help. Don't want to get sunburnt.
Helen
We wil be staying in Makena. Late July

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 03:57 PM
a

I am no expert, but since no one replied...

I don't think you need a lycra suit, a t-shirt is fine to avoid being sunburnt.

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 04:00 PM
a

also, I think the water temp in Hawaii is in approx in the low 70s. (not as warm as the carribbean)

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 04:53 PM
Oyvey

a bathing suit.

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 05:21 PM
xxx

T-shirt necessary only if you want to avoid sunburn, but make sure you put sunscreen on the back of your legs. I wouldn't bother with a wet suit, you'd be too warm. I'm sure they mean a lycra dive skin, which is very thin material, but it does cover the entire body, so no sunburn issue. People have also worn them because they help protect your skin against any sea itchies. I personally have never worn one and I have snorkeled a lot all over and never got itchies. (Sea lice, etc.) As to the boots, I only recommend wearing those if you have the fins with the open heel and adjustable straps. Reef shoes are fine for that reason too. If you have the fin with the entire rubber foot, there is no room for a bootie. Have fun!

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 10:28 PM
helen

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate your help. Happy Travels to all!!
Helen

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 01:31 PM
moe

I also suggest the sunblock on the back of the legs, and above - my bottom got quite toasty when I snorkeled in Cancun...

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 01:21 PM
Patty

Are you concerned about sun protection or warmth or both? Water temps in Hawaii are usually in the 70's - cooler than the Caribbean. When I'm there in winter I prefer to snorkel/dive while wearing a 2mm shorty (wetsuit) - it's not necessary but it makes me more comfortable and I can stay in the water longer. A lycra suit is less insulating than a neoprene wetsuit but does have the advantage of keeping you from getting sunburnt as these suits usually cover your entire body. A T-shirt helps keep the sun off your back but has no insulating qualities. If you have properly fitting closed foot fins, I doubt your feet would fit into them with reef shoes on (lycra socks maybe). They are not designed for this. If you want some insulation/protection for your feet, then go with neoprene booties (good for rocky shore entries) and open foot fins.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 09:46 AM
Missy

I second the idea of the wetsuit. We went scuba diving with a shorty wesuit with no problem and then snorkeling without it. It was hard to enjoy the snorkelling, since I was too cold.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 04:59 PM
a

can you rent a wetsuit?