Snorkeling and Kaanapali

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 11:27 AM
stacey

Snorkeling and Kaanapali

We have been to Maui and this area about 2 years and really our stay. This year we would like to find some GREAT places to snorkel ourselves. We will probably take a guided trip as well ... but so enjoy snorkeling to see those fabulous fish & collect shells. We will be staying at the Embassy Vacation Resort on the North end of the Kaanapali Beach. Does anyone have any ideas for great snorkeling places?? Thank you!!

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 02:22 PM
xxx

The Sheraton Hotel has the best snorkeling in the area for their guests. Consider chaning your reservations.

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 03:39 PM
Cindi

There is an underwater preserve south of Makena on the south coast that has excellent snorkeling. Something like Anihi. Near or a part of La Perouse Bay. Any dive shop will know.

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 05:41 PM
j

you don't have to be guests at the sheraton hotel to snorkeling at the blackrock.

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 07:51 AM
Dejahma

Black rock has very good snorkeling and you can walk up from where you are staying. I am an older middle age woman and walk up there to snorkle all the time. Also there is a nice reef just off of the Papakea resort which is two resorts north of you. Wade out on the shore break, swim out over the sandy portion and you will get out to the reef which has very good snorkeling.

There is a very nice rocky cove for snorkeling up north of Kapalua, I'm not sure of the name (at work and don't have guide book). You park on the side of the street and there are steps down to the cove. No beach, just rocks but it is a marine preserve and the fish are super. The snorkel tour boats tie up out there, and you can pay nothing and just swim out and snorkel the same spot. This is the best place we have found on Maui for snorkeling, and when there are no boats tied up you can have it almost to yourself.

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 08:50 AM
stacey

Thank you all for your insights!! Very helpful and I have taken note of them all and will check it out in April when we are there. Thanks again!!!

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 06:55 PM
Lori

Hi Stacey! My fiancee & I just returned from Maui today. We stayed nearby the Embassy at the Lokelani Condos (same street as Embassy just further North).

Snorkeling & whale watching were the highlights of our trip. Black Rock was good, as mentioned above, but not nearly as good as some of the other locations we found. My advice to you would be to go to "Olowalu" which is also known as "mile marker 14". Just head south towards Wailea and you cannot miss it. There will be a ton of cars parked on the side of the road. The beach is a bit windy but the swimming and snorkeling conditions are great! You will see excellent coral and many species of fish and even sea turtles.

Even better than this is the snorkeling behind the Renaissance Wailea Beach Resort. There are 2 beaches, Mokapu and Ulua. To get there, just park in the Renaissance parking lot (the valet guys reassured us that visitors can park there for free even though the parking spots are numbered). The beaches are straight through the resort to the left, you can't miss it. We saw awesome coral, tons of colorful fish, octupus, eel, and sting rays. The beach is not crowded and is not right off of the highway, like mile marker 14 is, so we visited this site more often than Olowalu. Definitely check out both though.

Our last day in Maui was great. It consisted of sun bathing/snorkeling all day at the Renaissance beaches, lunch at the Maui Onion (right at the Renaissance...they are known for their burgers & onion rings), more snorkeling, and then we showered off and changed into evening clothes for a WONDERFUL dinner at the Humuhumunukunukuapua'a (a couple doors down at the Grand Wailea resort). Try to make reservations for sunset (around 6pm). If you are going to be down that far from the Kaanapali area, you might as well make a day of it.

One last tid bit, we attempted to do the Molokini Crater snorkel cruise with the Pacific Whale Foundation, but due to weather conditions in the crater we could not go. The PWF (Pacific Whale Foundation) was a great company to go through for a snorkel trip. We ended up having a WONDERFUL day despite not being able to hit the crater. Rather than snorkeling, we ended up watching great performances by the humpback whales and spinner dolphins.

When will you be going to Maui? Hopefully you will be there prior to the end of whale season. If you have any further questions, just post a reply. Have fun!!! ~Lori

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 08:18 AM
Stacey

Lori,

We will be going April 5-12. I don't know if it will still be whale season or not.

It sure sounds like you all had a terrific time! I really appreciate all the help on the snorkeling sites .. and extras on resturants. My sister and I are going and taking our daughters who are graduating from High School this year. It's their trip ... but our's as well. We love the sunshine and the whole escape that Hawaii provides. We discovered the love for snorkeling 2 years ago when we took a vacation for the first time to Maui. We are addicted and have been looking forward to this trip for some time now.

Thanks again for all your help .. I have jotted it all down.

Stacey

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 08:43 AM
Lisa

I went to Maui this past November and I went on a snorkel cruise with the Pacific Whale Foundation. I really enjoyed it! I took one that went to Molokini crater and near Lanai, they also stopped the boat at one point and we saw dolphins swimming in the ocean. Snorkeling is better in the morning because the water is clear and the water is calmer. This cruise started in the morning and went through the afternoon. So the snorkeling was much better at the first place we went (Molokini) I think because of that. It turned really windy in the afternoon and was not as good. They feed you on the cruise and when I went because of tourism the price was down so I thought it was a really good deal.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 03:56 PM
Chris

Stacey,

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 04:00 PM
Chris

Stacey,
My family and I went to Maui and stayed part of the time in Kahana. We went just up the road a few miles to Honolua Bay. It is on the left and barely marked. No beach, just rocks but the snorkel boat tours go there sometimes for good reason. Good fish, coral and sea turtles. My son saw a lionfish (but did not tell me til the next day!) but there were few people in the whole area. Good place to picnic and get away from the crowds! We are going back this spring and we can hardly wait.

Chris