Search

Snorkel questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 06:26 PM
jr

Snorkel questions

We will be in Waikiki and then Maui. Will snorkel at Hanauma Bay and Ahi and Black Rock in Maui. Kids are 14, 18 and 21(not really a kid anymore!) Anyway we have snorkel gear and will rent only fins upon arrival. Do most people rent snorkel vests ? is it necessary?? Thanks for your help Also anyone ever eaten in the Oceanarium restaurant in Waikiki where there is a huge fish tank around you while you eat? Thanks!!!

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 06:38 PM
x

You won't need snorkel vests unless you want them. It depends how far out you're able to go. In winter the water is a little rougher. Still, I did it in December and no vests were necessary. Most people, in fact I didn't see any people with them.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 12:15 PM
Patty

A snorkel vest isn't necessary unless you feel like you need a flotation device. I've eaten at the Oceanarium once a long time ago. It was entertaining but the food wasn't that memorable.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 08:20 PM
Paige

My husband and I were in Hawaii in March of 2000 and went snorkeling at Hanauma Bay as well as a number of places on Maui. We did rent vests as the water was cold and we found we were able to stay in the water longer with the vests. The cost was minimal. Go to Snorkel Bob's - he's everywhere on Oahu, so you shouldn't have any problem.

Be careful at Hanauma Bay, though. The coral there has been damaged through bonehead people who stand on it. We even saw a party of 5 or 6 sitting around on a coral stand right under the surface of the water. As you know, coral is fragile and should be protected. As a result, it is not as vivid as it could be.

We loved snorkeling in Hawaii, and saw a lot of different fish than you would see in the Caribbean.

Have fun.

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 07:49 AM
MAUIBABE

THE OCEANARIUM IS AT THE PACIFIC BEACH HOTEL. WE STAYED AT THAT HOTEL AND ENJOYED THE BREAKFAST BUFFET EVERY MORNING. THEY HAD SOME TRADITIONAL HAWAIIAN DISHES BUT IT SEEMED LIKE THEY HAD A LOT MORE TO OFFER FOR THE JAPANESE VISITORS.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 09:47 AM
Vince

If you go on a boat snorkel you might be required to use a vest because it is the USA and insurance demands it. However, they supply them. Vince

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 11:20 AM
Patty

Not all boat operators in Hawaii require vests (or other flotation device). Most don't, but it's almost always available if you choose to do so. Trilogy is the only one I can think of at the moment that requires it.