Snorkel in San Diego

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 07:45 PM
Beachcomber

Snorkel in San Diego

Any good places to go snorkeling in the San Diego vicinity? We are taking our grandchildren (ages 9 & 10) and it will be their first time snorkeling.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 08:38 PM
tahquitz

One of the better places might be the La Jolla Cove. I would do a search of La Jolla dive shops and email or call for info.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 08:01 AM
Katie

There is snorkeling on Catalina Island, but that is 1 1/2 hr drive & boatride to the island. You could look into that?

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 09:06 AM
xxx

La Jolla has always been a popular snorkeling spot, but I've just heard a news report that there have been sharks reported in the area in the past week.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 09:41 AM
Barbara

I haven't heard the shark report. There are occsionally harmless sharks in that area. I'm not at all sure that it would be a very good place for young kids who have never snorkelled before, though.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 11:07 AM
Pam

I don't think I would bother to snorkel in S.D. It is not a snorkeling place. However, there are many other wonderful activities for the age of your grandchildren.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 01:51 PM
sd

The sharks are lemon sharks and they have no teeth and grow to 4 feet. They come every summer around August and mingle in the shallow waters off la jolla shores where many people and kids rent snorkeling gear to catch a glimpse of them. kids would think it was the coolest thing!