Search

snorkel equipment

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2005, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
snorkel equipment

I was wondering if anybody knows of a place in Kauai where you rent snorel equipment for the week. I was searching for rental condos, and found one that offered all the snorkel gear and boogie boards, ect... but the place wasn't what I was looking for. Anyway, I thought that was a cool idea to offer all that stuff with your condo, but I don't think many places do that. How much do you think it would be? Thanks.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 08:28 AM

There are MANY places that rent stuff by the day and/or week on the Island. They entice you in with ads for cheap equipment and then when you realize how cheap it really is, you always spend more.

Probably the most established company is "Snorkel Bob's". We've used them on every Island so far w/o any problems. We get their 2nd to best stuff and it was about $25 for the week. They have shops in Kapa'a and near Poipu. You can rent at one and turn in at the other if necessary as well...or another island for that matter.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 09:24 AM

Snorkel Bob and Boss Frog (the two biggies)do the bait and switch--advertise a week rental for $9.99 then show you a 20 yr old heavy glass mask (hanging next to the much more expensive lightweight silicone ones). We've rented for years on Maui, and I think that Frog treats you a little better than Bob--but that could well be due to the employee that you get at the time. (I wish they wouldn't do that bait and switch thing, though, it seems really seamy and cheap.)
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 09:32 AM

Geez...you can buy a brand-new snorkel kit at Wal-Mart for under $20. Not high-tech, but definitely acceptable for a week's use.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 09:53 AM

yeah, i agree, if you're going to rent for a week, i would definately suggest just buying some good snorkeling gear to keep. you will have a mask that you know fits, and a snorkel that hasnt been used by thousands of people--and you will also have somethign for future trips.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 10:35 AM

We rented from Snorkel Bobs. Mask snorkel and fins for 1 week at 2 for 1 at $9 per week. No bait and switch for us. We got 2 sets for $18. They even have a drop for after hours if you wnat to snorkel till the last minute and drop it off late or early. They also provide th defogging solution for free.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 02:48 PM

Here is Snorkel Bob's website.

Even if you don't rent from them, the site has many good snorkeling locations on each island.

www.snorkelbobs.com

click on: Map'nTips (very bottom of the screen)

click on the Kauai map.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 08:35 PM

We bought ours at Costco before we left and took them with us. I got them for like 27.00 and they have a carrying case. They are very nice one. Their is a Costco on Maui as well.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 06:05 AM

If you're going to buy masks ahead of time, try them on to make sure it fits. If you can't try it on don't buy it. I promise, you will be sorry if you don't try it on first.

Place the mask up to your face. Breathe in. The mask should stay in place. If not, the fit isn't good and will leak water. You do not want a mask that leaks.

I prefer a mask that is close to my face (personal preference, go with what works for you).

Many places give away snorkels because they don't want to deal with used ones. Those are usually plain tubes. Look at the various models and see what you may like. Purge valves are a nice feature.

Old Aug 9th, 2005, 06:39 AM

Auntiemaria is right. If you don't need anything too fancy, you can buy a cheap, but decent, set and that might be better than renting them. You can go to the Walmart on Kauai or get them at home before you leave. Target has some good ones.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 02:26 PM

better yet, do it local-ghetto style and go to a lifeguard shack. they have lots of snorkel gear they'd be happy to unload. most close by 4p.