Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Smoky Mountain Park synchronous lightning bugs--has anyone seen them?

Jun 19th, 2006, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

We're heading to the Smoky Park next weekend to see the lightning bugs put on their annual show of synchronous flashing.

My husband and I are joining both our children and their families (three grandchildren).

We'll be camping in Elkmont campground, which is said to be closest to the firefly show.

Has anybody actually seen this phenomenon? We've read about it for some time now.

Apparently the synchronized flashing was thought to take place only in Asia until a few years ago, when it was observed in the Smoky Park.

I'd love to hear from anybody who has been there-done that.

Byrd

Jun 19th, 2006, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Anybody?
Jun 19th, 2006, 07:44 AM

Never seen this but found this online -

"During their two-week mating ritual, the synchronous fireflies flash in unison. The insects begin their show later than most "lightning bugs," which light up at dusk.

The synchronous fireflies start about 9:30 p-m. At first, the flashes are random, but they change to synchronized flashes that last six seconds, then go off for ten seconds before repeating.
Jun 19th, 2006, 07:51 AM
iceeu2

Byrd, I have never heard of this, but would love to see it. How did you find out about it? And, does this firefly show take place at the Elkmont campground?

btw, you probably know this already, but that is a great campground and is in a beautiful part of the park.

Jun 19th, 2006, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, steviegene. We are looking forward to seeing this!

Our daughter (biology major, grad study in wildlife zoology) has been talking about this for a while, but this is the first summer we've been able to work out a combined trip with all of us.

Should be an interesting weekend!

Byrd
Jun 19th, 2006, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

iceeU2,

We (husband and I) saw something on (probably) PBS or the Discovery Channel several years ago about the flyflies on some island in the Indian Ocean, I think.

The pictures shown were amazing, and the program said local fishermen used the flashing as navigational aids.

Then a year or so ago, our daughter somehow heard that the lightning bugs put on a similar show in the Smoky Park.

We've been talking about it since.

According to some info, the snychromous fireflies are located at about 2200 feet altitude, which puts them close to Elkmont.
The instructions from the(I think) park site says to go across the main road from the entrance to Elkmont, down the hiking trail, for best views.

Those not staying at Elkmont must take a but from the visitor center. We're hoping we can just walk from our cmpsites.

We're looking forward to seeing the Smoky Park again, after a good many years. We haven't been camping in a long time, either, but I guess we'll manage!

Byrd
Jun 19th, 2006, 08:34 AM

Very interesting

smokymtns.com/firefly.htm