smoking policy

Aug 17th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

smoking policy

Why are so many hotels omitting their smoking policy? I find it difficult to find this info when trying to book online. Many times I have to call the hotel to get this information. Why the mystery and why do they make it so difficult? Can't they just state whether they have smoking and/or non smoking rooms available?
Aug 17th, 2007, 12:48 PM
J62

"Many times I have to call the hotel to get this information."

Sounds pretty simple to me. 30sec phone call and you get all the info you need, probably in less time than you spent searching for it on the website.

Reminds me of 2 guys I work with - they sit literally 20 feet from each other and complain that the other one hasn't responded to an email. They'd rather hide behind their computers than walk 10 paces to discuss in person.
Aug 17th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Thank you J62 but my question is " Why are so many hotels omitting their smoking policy?'
Aug 17th, 2007, 05:50 PM

I don't know why they omit it, but I recently booked a room online at a Fairfield Inn and the hotel description clearly stated it was a non-smoking property.
Aug 17th, 2007, 06:18 PM

It's one of two reasons:

1. So few people smoke nowadays, it's no longer a concern for hotels.

2. Anti-smoking hysteria has reached such a feverish pitch in the U.S., even mentioning that smoking rooms are available is enough to scare many people away from a hotel.

Since 1 is clearly not the case (44 million Americans still smoke, according to the ACS), it must be 2.
Aug 17th, 2007, 07:19 PM

Policy doesn't assure you that some jerk hasn't defiled the room before you arrive. I've had many "non-smoking" rooms which just reeked. If you are truly sensitive, this is not just a matter of preference, but of health.
Aug 17th, 2007, 11:59 PM

I do not smoke, hate smoke, do not want to turn this into a smokers' debate - but, while studies support dangers of second hand smoke, I have yet to see one study that supports old smokey smell as a health hazard. Obnoxious, irritating, and not something I want in a hotel room and not something I should tolerate in a room I pay for - but not a health hazard.
Aug 18th, 2007, 08:08 AM

Well, Gail, you don't have severe sensitivity. I worked in it for so many years that just being exposed for short periods causes me to have chest spasms, coughing spells and eventually bronchitis.
Aug 18th, 2007, 09:32 AM

Wow, I have the exact same problem with women who take a bath in Jean Nate every night.

Hello, Hilton? What is your Jean Nate policy?
Aug 18th, 2007, 09:57 AM

Stay at a Marriott in the US and you won't even have to ask the question.
Aug 18th, 2007, 04:50 PM

Sorry - someone may not like the scent of a particular perfume. (There's an elderly woman in my building who I swear bathes in Shalimar - which has to be the single most offensive perfume in the world - and if she's in the elevator I won;t get in - but that's just my personal preference.)

But to someone with asthma, chronic bronchitis or emphysema the residue in a room that has been used by a smoker can cause real health problems - from coughing attacks to serious problems. So- I think every hotel should make its smoking policy completely clear - so anyone for whom it is a problem can avoid danger spots. (And, for those guests who take a non-smoking room and insist on smoking anyway - I agree with the hotels that charge an extra cleaning fee to make it livable again.)

Aug 19th, 2007, 12:59 AM

We got a relative's old couch when they died. This relative smoked, and the couch smelled like smoke. We put it in a back storage room. Our dog would sleep on that couch every night. Our dog developed emphysema and from then on the poor thing constantly struggled to breathe. It coughed and wheezed constantly. We finally had to put the poor thing to sleep.
Aug 19th, 2007, 01:27 AM

Your dog died of second hand couch?

Westins let their guests know all rooms are smoke free. Last time we stayed in one the only people we saw smoking were wait staff at the [outdoor] pool.
Aug 19th, 2007, 06:50 AM

A good number of hotels/motels that keep a low key about their smoking policy end up with 100% smoking rooms. I have checked into "non" rooms that had ashtrays and reeked of smoke. Several places in the western states I have had the person behind the desk, usually the owner, come out from behind the counter and take a sniff to see if they detected smoke on the clothing. If so they would turn that person away. The same thing happened on Cape Cod this summer, while checking in a person came in and you could smell smoke. They were denied a room. The place had a big sign out front 100% non-smoking.

Aug 19th, 2007, 10:47 AM

omg that's so sad about your dog tl91

I wouldn't discount the harm the smokey sofa could have done to the dog so quickly...

When my great aunt was released from the hospital after being treated for lung cancer (at which point she'd finally quit), she was advised to wash and repaint her walls, change her curtains, get her sofas cleaned, etc. because of the old smoke fumes.

Bloom
Aug 20th, 2007, 07:15 AM

Do people still really use Jean Nate???
Aug 20th, 2007, 09:17 AM

Well, I'm with dymphna on this. If you have a website for my booking convenience, why should I be bothered to have to dial up the phone, be asked to please hold on, abd listen to some godawful music while I'm waiting to ask a simple question that should have been addressed online.

Yes, if a nonsmoking room is desired, go with Westin or Marriott. If a smoking room is desired, it's anyone's guess.
Aug 20th, 2007, 09:36 AM

I have Priority Club membership...when I check on rooms on their site, it always brings up the types of rooms available. What I love about them is that they will guarantee a non-smoking room.
Aug 20th, 2007, 10:11 AM

Two years ago, I booked a no smoking room for the Marriott Courtyard in Middlebury, VT. When we arrived the only room available was smoking and it was so bad, that my whezing starting up after being fine for 3 years. We had the windows open, nothing help. They did move us the next day, and compensated us with free breakfast. It was a very unpleasant experience.
Aug 20th, 2007, 10:22 AM

I was wondering about Jean Nate too. I don't think I have smelled that in 15 years or so.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO