smokies, rockies, or poconos?

Mar 22nd, 2002, 02:38 PM
rick

smokies, rockies, or poconos?

Which is the best place to take a family of 4 in July? I own a time-share package that has several different locations in all 3 regions.

Mar 22nd, 2002, 02:46 PM
Agnes

Based on your detailed and well thought out question, I would recommend the Smokies.

Mar 22nd, 2002, 02:49 PM
Utahtea

If you want REAL mountains go to Rockies.

Utahtea

Mar 22nd, 2002, 02:57 PM
Linda

Rick- how old are you children? Boys, girls? What activities do you like? Will you drive/fly and from where? This will help us to give you a good answer!

Mar 22nd, 2002, 03:00 PM
rick

We are city dwellers, from Chicago. We will drive, but that should not be a factor. Kids are 12 and 10. Vacation will be 1 week long. As far as our "likes", this is going to be a new experience no matter what. We don't have an agenda, just want to explore and do what the locals do.

Mar 22nd, 2002, 05:58 PM
Agnes

OK Rick, your getting a little closer. If your condo/ time-share is in a ski resort in the Rockies go for that. You can do the hiking, bike riding swim, and enjoy the scenery. There will be some sort of tourist area for shopping meals etc. The Smokies would be my 2nd choice and the Poconos' 3rd

Mar 23rd, 2002, 08:07 AM
Connie

The Rockies are always my first choice. The scenery is unbeatable and there is lots to do.

I've read on posts here at Fodor's that a lot of loding in the Pocono's has gone down hill.

Mar 23rd, 2002, 08:16 AM
Doug Weller

If you like trees and forests, the Smokies.

Doug

Mar 23rd, 2002, 09:03 AM
Kim

Family-wise, my vote would be for the Smokies. There are several hiking trails suitable for taking children along; along with Cades Cove, a lovely drive-thru area complete with meadows, wildlife, and old cabins. The towns of Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge offer entertainment, dining, and lots of stuff for kids; i.e., arcades, souvenir shops, museums, etc.

Mar 23rd, 2002, 09:33 AM
Linda

This is what makes us unique.I would never go back to Gatlinburg in the summer. It made the list 5 times on this board on places you would never visit again.It is wall-to-wall people and bumper to bumper traffic anywhere you go. You can go to junk shops or miniature golf anywhere- if you want a beautiful mountain experience, go to the Rockies to a place with a lake, horseback riding and hiking trails. Or go to a resort in the Smokies in some other place than Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge.
Your driving route should be another consideration. Since you'll be driving quite a bit, can you see anything interesting along the way? Something to keep the kids from being too bored!
Hope your planning goes well!

Mar 23rd, 2002, 03:28 PM
mjh

I am from northeastern Pa. and I am sorry to say that I wouldn't even put the Poconos in with the other two categories. I would choose the Rockies -- it is so much more dramatic out there in the West.