Space Center Houston

Mar 21st, 2002, 12:12 PM
Laurie

Space Center Houston

Has anyone been to Space Center Houston since 9/11?

Is it still worth visiting (due to closures of some attractions)?

If I also wanted to see some other sights in Houston (Enron Field, Astrodome), where would be a strategic hotel location (at the end of my stay I am going directly to Hobby Airport).

Thank you.

Mar 21st, 2002, 12:56 PM
Lindsey

One of my coworkers took his children there yesterday. He is out for spring break. I'll ask him when he gets back in.

As for places to stay some questions, what is budget, interests, primary purpose for being here and period you will be here(i.e., wedding, watch your favorite team play baseball, can't believe it's as hot in August as everyone says it is or as beautiful in Spring as the locals claim), and length of stay. These will give us a better idea on how to answer.

Mar 21st, 2002, 12:58 PM
anon

ENRON FIELD????? LMAO

Mar 21st, 2002, 01:08 PM
Laurie

Lindsey: the hotel should have equal access to NASA and downtown Houston if you find out that it is worth the trip to NASA. Thank you.

Anon: Wise guy -- you know I meant Astros Field. GAL!!

Mar 21st, 2002, 01:59 PM
Nyna

Check for hotels in the Clear Lake area. There are tons of them near the freeway (I-45 and NASA Road One) in Webster. That way you are close to both Galveston and downtown.

I would not advise staying near Hobby since there isn't much to see around there. However, Hobby isn't far from the Clear Lake area. Also, the Clear Lake/Webster area has lots of restaurants and is close to NASA.

Just be sure you aren't far from I-45 so that you have easy access to the highway to get anywhere you want to go easily. With the Houston traffic (particularly from NASA), that's a plus.

Have fun!

Mar 22nd, 2002, 05:58 AM
Lindsey

Sep. 11 has not had an impact on Space Center Houston. Since it is primarily a museum entertainment center, security is not an issue. There has been increased security at NASA itself, but NASA was never very interesting any way. That's why they built Space Center Houston.

As for a hotel, the key will be where you will be spending the bulk of your time. No matter where you stay, you will have to drive. Clear Lake/NASA is about a thirty minute drive from downtown Houston. If you are splitting time between Clear Lake and Downtown, pick a place in one of those areas. Downtown is staring to develop some interesting clubs and nightlife. Clear Lake is close to Kemah and Galveston. There really isn't any area in between I would suggest staying other than around the Medical Center.

Also, for the next six months, the Galleria area will be troublesome. TXDOT is working on the Southwest Freeway and Loop 610 interchange, shutting down and repairing one interchange at a time. Traffic diversions are causing a real mess.

If you are coming in April, be sure to go to the Houston International Festival.

Hope this helps. Have a good time.

Mar 23rd, 2002, 03:33 PM
Bel

To the top