Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Smokey Mountains & Pigeon Forge--Active, Romantic?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to surprise my husband with a Zorb trip in the Smokey Mountains for our anniversary. However, although he loves new activities....he loves outdoor, active sports and is not a fan of crowds or tourist traps. Since we have already visited Asheville, where best to stay for some romance (hot tub, lodge) and also to hike or bike with some history added in for variety. Also, what is the closest airport for flying from Milwaukee to Pigeon Forge area? Any insights you can give to make this memorable and romantic would be appreciated!
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 04:27 PM

The most romantic place to stay in the smokies is the Inn at Blackberry Farm. We have been there twice and it is fabulous. We took a class in fly fishing, went mountain biking through Cades Cove (they supplied the picnic and bikes). There is just a ton to do at the resort. Plus the food is out of this world. The place is located in Walland Tenn. You fly into knoxville and drive to the smokies.
Old Jun 21st, 2008, 08:22 AM

We just got back from spending a week in a lovely cabin for two just outside of Gatlinburg. Easy distance to hiking trails, cades cove etc. Lots of history there. You can bicyle through Cades Cove on certain days. We flew out of Chicago to Knoxville, Tn. then rented a car and drove to the cabin, about an hours drive. Pigeon Forge is just 7 miles away from Gatlinburg. The cabin was "Cupid's Hideaway" out of Heritage Mountain Rentals. Cabin has a hot tub on the porch. It has an equipped kitchen, one bedroom with Queen Size Bed. two full baths, pool table in the loft, gumball machine, Juke Box with radio, TV with DVD tastefully decorated. It caters to honeymooners, anniversary celebrants or just couples. We enjoyed it. Private yet close to everything. You could probably fly out of Milwaukee.
Old Jun 21st, 2008, 11:49 AM

Check Townsend, Tenn., as it's close to Cades Cove and is billed as "The quiet side of the Smokies." Aside from hiking and biking, you can also go rafting in the area, fishing, canoeing, etc. Check www.usaraft.com, I haven't used them but know they are a reputable company.
Old Jun 21st, 2008, 02:47 PM

Just returned from camping in Townsend. Would recommend it over Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. The Blackberry Farm people have bought a place called Dancing Bear. It is much less expensive and looked very nice. They had luxury cabins. We had dinner there. Also hiked and biked. It was lovely. You should be able to fly into Knoxville and rent a car. Townsend not far from the airport.
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 04:57 AM

Hi kacollier!

Weve stayed at Oak Haven Resort (in Sevierville) several times.

Check it out:

http://www.oakhavenresort.com/

itsv, Blackberry Farm looks awesome!!
Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 05:16 AM

If your husband does not like crowds or tourist traps, do not stay in Pigeon Forge.

Blackberry Farm IS wonderful - but only if you can afford $1000 per night after add-ons. Dancing Bear is a good lower priced alternative and I would definitely pick Townsend over Pigeon Forge. Or consider one of the lovely Inns in the Gatlinburg area - but you will have more crowds there.

Fly into Knoxville (TYS) and I would consider driving to Chicago and picking up a direct flight. United and American have direct flights unless they lost them in the recent cutbacks.

On the other side of the Smokies is "The Swag" - a wonderful Inn adjacent to the park (on the border) and about half the cost of Blackberry Farm (still pricey). All meals included but bring your own alcohol. Great hiking right from your room - no driving to trails. It would be closer to fly into Asheville. I've stayed there twice and loved it each time.

Enjoy!
Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 10:48 AM

Check out Gracehill B & B for incredible views; halfway between Pigeon Forge & Townsend. We've stayed at Brother's Cove in both a 1 BR & 2 BR cabin; liked it very much. I've also read about Butterfly Gap Retreat in Maryville, TN which is an adults only place with 4 guesthouses, very reasonably priced, close to Townsend & Walland & ~ 30 miles from Knoxville.
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:56 PM

Hi kacollier!

If you would like a sense of history and do not like tourist traps, how about Jonesborough, Tn? It is the oldest town in Tn with a great historic main street. Jonesborough is just an hour or so north of Asheville. The scenery is beautiful and the people can't get much nicer!

As far as activities in the area, there are hiking trails on Buffalo mountain, white water rafting on the Nolichucky river, a new fossil exhibit and museum, and a storytelling center featuring a different teller every week. During the summer, the town also hosts a concert called "music on the square" right on main street every Friday night.

If you decide on Jonesborough, there is a great guest house about 5 minutes from downtown. We have stayed there a couple of times and love it. http://www.linnaeagardens.com/ The owners have a great place with beautiful gardens, a creek and even a fire pit! I could sit on that back porch for days. . .

The closest airport to Jonesborough is Tri-Cities Regional airport, about 25 minutes away.

Good luck!