Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Smoke Easies in New York.....Fact or Fiction?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, New Yorkers, let's put intimate neighborhood knowledge to the test.

I have heard rumors that "smoke easies" have begun to pop up in the city as a form of rebellion to the recently enacted smoke-free indoor laws. Apparently, these establishments are normal bars that have "special areas" for people to smoke in, similar to the speak easies of the 1920's during prohibition. However, as I ask around the office and my friends, no one can confirm this.

So, has anyone else heard this? Any truth to them? If so, where might one find such a place where lighting a cigar won't get you stuck with a ticket? Or did I just do too much crack and imagine the whole thing?
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 09:19 AM

It would not surprise me if this were the case. Here in LA we have had a smoking ban in indoor public places for several years now. Every now and then I have come across a watering hole where it is not enforced... usually hole-in-the-wall type places in less trodden areas of town.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 09:36 AM
jor

Of coarse there are. As long as there are people addicted to smoking they will do anything to smoke wherever they please.

Ex-tobacco addict
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 09:38 AM

I read an article recently by a smoker who was skulking around the city to different establishments that were still keeping ashtrays handy. Can't remember where I read it, but it didn't give any names anyway.

Some interesting info here: http://www.nycclash.com/dining.html
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 02:51 PM

haven't run into any.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 06:07 AM

Follow the sullen people who stink on ice and have a wet hacking cough. If they're not heading to the emergency room or the morgue, you're in luck.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 06:25 AM

While we're on the subject, does anyone know what happened to the thread entitled "Smoking Ban in Florida" (I'm paraphrasing)?

Last time I read it, people were being civil to each other...or did it turn the way of Gekko's answer - mean and nasty - and therefore get deleted?
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 06:37 AM
OliveOyl

It was turning into a smokers rights vs non-smokers rights issue Joan and going no where so...now it's gone. We made the change over months ago with no issue, including the lobby bar as one of our restaurants is just across the lobby from it. No problems except for the increase in cig butts just outside the door despite ash trays. At one point we thought we were going to have to declare our pool area non-smoking as well as it is X feet from an entrance which is x feet from the restaurant. I wonder how Woody's is doing with compliance?

Old Jul 7th, 2003, 07:01 AM

That's too bad about that thread, Olive - I was enjoying the debate regarding secondhand smoke. Since I own a nonsmoking restaurant (changed over 3 years ago), I didn't think this ban would be an issue for us. But where I'm really seeing a sacrifice is among the staff. They used to sneak a smoke after closing while cleaning up or doing drudge work - but no more. I kind of feel sorry for them - but hey 70% of Floridians voted for this. They just don't want smoke in their workplace...I still think it's more of an annoyance than an injury. Now we must address the issue of smoke breaks vs. non-smokers feeling cheated...

Hey maybe we should plan on boosting Woody's business during these tough times! Wouldn't that be helpful of us???
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 11:50 AM

Hey now, I didn't turn it nasty; the discussion had already gotten ridiculous (and polarized). At that point I think a chisel wouldn't work -- a jackhammer is necessary.

And what a no-brainer. Not exactly a topic on which intelligent minds can reasonably differ.
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 05:52 PM

Re: Gekko's last comment -- what is the topic on which intelligent minds cannot differ? The question is about if and where there are kind of secret smoking spots in Manhattan. I myself didn't read this as a good/bad, right/wrong type of question, or a question seeking readers' judgments of smokers.
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 06:05 PM

Elizabeth, sorry about the confusion. I was referring to the aforementioned thread deleted by the Fodors thought police.

I doubt many proprietors are willing to risk their liquor license to satisfy the sad cravings of a handful of addicts. But this is New York City, so I imagine a few "smoke easies" are out there. Listen for the sorrowful cough behind a stained yellow curtain.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 12:37 PM

As long as the smoking addicts are kept out or public places everyone will be more safe and not smell like cigarette butts. Maybe "smoke easies" would be OK, but not as a "special area" in bars. Smoke does not obey No Smoking signs and neither do smokers. Addicts can smoke in their own homes.