Smile and say Hello Fodorite!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2003, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With so many people travelling and going everywhere, I want to acknowledge fellow Fodorites, and have them speak to me. On June 2 I will be leaving to drive to South Dakota via KS, CO, WY, MT, SD then MN, IA, MO and home. SO...if you spot a large van with Arkansas plates IT'S ME. Say howdy!

Old May 23rd, 2003, 07:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well howdy!
Old May 24th, 2003, 10:43 AM

Well, I probably won't see you as you pass through Kansas, because I will be in Texas at that time. But have a great trip and tell us all about it when you get back!

PS-No matter what anyone else says about Kansas, there are a few hidden jewels. You can visit Eisenhower's birthplace in Abilene (near Salina). The Russell Stover factory is in Salina. The Brookville Inn (in Abilene, I think) is supposed to have fabulous fried chicken. If you have a little extra time, look for one of these places.
Old May 24th, 2003, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Hey mizscarlett, will be staying in Salina looking at 1st inn, yeas or nays on that one?
Old May 24th, 2003, 12:41 PM

Hey, ARKANSASNURSE! I saw your other post, but I have no idea about the hotels you are considering. I live in Wichita and so we just drive up to Salina. Only time I stayed there was a couple of years ago. We stayed at the Holiday Inn (Holidome), which is off I-135. It was fine for one night--has an indoor/outdoor pool and a breakfast buffet on Sundays (maybe Sat. too). Also has a cheese mini-golf course indoors, but my kids liked it. I can't remember what we paid-seems like it was around $80 for a double.
Old May 25th, 2003, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Miz scarlett,

Have family in Wichita but have not been there since very young, so looking forward for the trip thru, family has never been to KS so looking forward to hearing how it looks like home. Got the same response on drive from Windsor to Toronto.
Old May 25th, 2003, 12:21 PM

When you go thru SD make some mental notes of what is most interesting to you--
By next year I will have been in 46 states-- ND & SD are two i haven't seen (also Oklahoma and Arkansas)
I usually fly into one state and then drive to the adjacent one to look around. Also pick Elderhostel trips
with this in mind.
Your trip sounds wonderful...
Retired RN..
Old May 25th, 2003, 01:14 PM

,,,Love Iowa.

If you are near The Bridges of Madison County, I think they are worth a leasurly drive to check them out. If you go, don't miss the old barn-turned-art museum where they can tell you all about Redford, etc.

Happy Trails,
Paul