Reload this Page >

'Smallship' Alaska Cruises

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 1998, 08:11 AM
mariana

Has anyone taken a smallship cruise through the inland passage of Alaska.? These usually have about 100 passengers, and can navigate into tigher areas for closer wildlife observation etc...as well as being more casual ships. It sounds ideal for those not as interested in the night club atmosphere and glitz of a l700 passenger ship. I believe the company that has 4 or 5 of these smaller ships is Alaska Sightseeing/Cruise West. I would appreciate any input and comments from anyone who has traveled on this type of cruise ship. Thank You

Old May 26th, 1998, 06:07 AM
Betty MacInnes

We've not taken that trip yet but sister & husband did and enjoyed it immensely. Felt they saw scenery "up close". Young crew - very well informed. No dressing up - sports clothes day and night - take raingear, sweaters, waterproof shoes for mist and rain. Spectacular scenery, good plain food and plenty of it. Ship was clean and in good condition. Based on their pictures & comments we plan to take the same trip. Try to go in summer as it is pretty cold spring and fall. Have fun.

Old Jul 4th, 1998, 04:11 PM
Frank

Mariana, I'm surprised that your question did not produce more responses. My name is Frank and I am a Small Ship Partner with Alaska Sightseeing. I am an independent agent with The Cruising Co, Etc. in Washington state. Please feel free to e-mail me and I will be happy to provide you with as much information that you would like concerning small-ship cruising to Alaska and the Inside Passage. This is a very popular and beautiful cruise that you have inquired about. I hope I can be of assistance. Frank

Old Jul 4th, 1998, 06:51 PM
Robert D. Brown

Alaska for us is about a year away, but I am interested in the type of cruise described as "small ship". What can you tell me to help me plan?

Old Jul 6th, 1998, 07:57 AM
Ramiro A. Martinez

I am planning a trip for two next summer to Alaska. My plans are to take a car on a ferry, from Washington State, with me and stay in Anhorage for a week and them drive back to Wahsington State. Can I do this through "Smallship" Alaska Cruises?

Old Jul 6th, 1998, 03:17 PM
Pandra

We are interested in a small ship cruise in alaska, and any info you have would be helpful.

Old Jul 6th, 1998, 03:40 PM
Frank

Ramiro, Taking an auto to Alaska is best done via the Alaska Marine Highway System. These are large ferries that travel through the inside passage and are a great way to go to Alaska, if you want to take your auto. Driving to/from Alaska is via the AlCan highway. A fairly well-maintained road through Canada to Alaska. It can get a little pricey, for food and gas, so I would suggest making certain my vehicle is in real good shape and plan on carrying extra water, and fuel and sparebelts, etc. Also good camping gear is a must, if you plan to sleep outdoors. Don't forget, this is where bears find most of their meals, wrapped and ready, sort of like take-out. Just joking, but make sure of your plans, then go for it. Alaska is absolutely gorgeous and is worth the effort. Have a great time. Frank

Old Jul 6th, 1998, 07:41 PM
Ramiro A. Martinez

Frank, thanks for the information about Alaska Marine Highway System. I found them on the internet and I have an 800 number. Now I can continue to plan on my trip. Thanks.