Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

"Home Based" Travel Agencies ~ Who's the Best?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 1998, 04:04 PM
Gray Davis

We are looking at joining a "home based" travel agency so that we can obtain agent discounts, etc. All the ones we have looked at require a significant amount of money up front without any real info on what hotels, etc. will actually accept the card and give agent discounts. Does anyone have a recommendation or experience with any of the services? Would really like some input before writing the check! Help!

Old Jun 22nd, 1998, 06:08 PM
wes fowler

I've sen a great deal written about home based travel agencies in Consumer Reports, the New York Times and other travel publications. They are invariably a rip-off in one of two ways: either they take your money and run or the "agency" discounts prove either non-existent or so small that it takes years of travel to recoup your original investment. Before committing to anything, check the outfit out with the Better Business Bureau and state, county and local agencies both in your resident state and the "agency"'state that deal with consumer fraud.

Old Jun 22nd, 1998, 07:01 PM
wes fowler

Here's one more thought. Almost all legitimate travel agencies belong to ASTA (American Society of Travel Agents). ASTA is a trade organization that ensures the traveling public is not ripped off by unscrupulous agencies. Contact ASTA to see what they can tell you about the venture you're interested in pursuing.

Old Jun 23rd, 1998, 04:01 AM
Dale

I work as an outside travel agent for ATS Travel. Their number is 800-847-2453. Give them a call, and mention my name, Dale Ordemann, and they'll set up a meeting with our director, followed by a 2-hour training session, and you'll be all set. Believe it or not, there is ABSOLUTELY NO FEE for this, and they'll even supply clients for you, if you wish.

They know that if their agents book travel, they get some of the commission, and it's on travel that they wouldn't necessarily get. Give it a try, and let me know what you think

Old Jun 23rd, 1998, 04:03 PM
Les Talbot

I've heard of IntelleTravel (or something like that). Not sure if they are legitimate, but they are all over the web.

Old Jul 4th, 1998, 03:35 PM
Frank

Forgive me if this sounds offensive. As a travel consultant who has spent considerable time and money, putting together a client list and business associates, it sounds like you just want to take advantage of the "fams" and forget the business of travel. Card mills are all over and will take your $$ in a heartbeat. Many travel referral companies, may not be really travel businesses, and you stand the possibility of spending your bucks and taking a long time to recoup any benefits. IATAN (International Airlines Travel Agent Network) requires a commission income of $4500 yearly to qualify for their agent ID card. Most airlines, hotels, etc no longer accept the card mills ID. Why not, if you are interested in a career as a travel agent, save your $$, find a legitmate Travel Agent school, that will train you in the industry, and you can take that training and begin to be a travel agent and you will receive many more "fam" trips through an agency, then you could ever afford to take using a card mill. And most of your travel will qualify for tax benefits, check with your tax consultant.

Old Jul 7th, 1998, 05:51 AM
Cindy

I agree with Frank. I now work as an outside agent for a local agency. Went to school, then to work for an agency and built up my clientele - then set up at home. Has worked well for me. There should not be the exorbitant fees involved if you work with a local agency.