SLC to Grand Targhee/Driggs, Idaho

Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 03:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLC to Grand Targhee/Driggs, Idaho

Trying to find a more reasonable flight option than the always pricey Jackson Hole for the New Year's break. What would the drive be like between Salt Lake City Airport and Driggs, Idaho at the end of December? Is there a way to drive without going over major mountain passes that could have questionable road conditions? Have done the Teton Pass from Jackson, Wy before and thought it was not too bad of a drive. I'm just unfamiliar with the
road from SLC. Is there an Interstate highway or just a rural route? Thanks so much for any info that you could provide!!
Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 08:43 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Interstate 15 north to Idaho Falls. I found a cheap motel in Idaho Falls. Depending on the weather in the morning, turn off US 20 at Rexburg toward Driggs. If the wearther is bad, just continue to West Yellowstone Montana on US 20.
Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 03:25 PM

It depends. Some years it can be cold and clear. Other years, tons of snow. From SLC to Driggs is ok because you don't have to go over Teton Pass. I have done it at New Years and been ok. It will take 2.5 hours from SLC to Pocatello, another 45 mins or so to Idaho Falls. From IF to Driggs, it is not a huge interstate, but its not bad either. Depending on weather etc, you could figure on 5-6 hours to Driggs max. I usually stop in IF as the half way point.
Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 03:26 PM

You can fly into Pocatello and drive from there. You might even be able to fly into Idaho Falls??