Search

Skiing in Colorado

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2001, 08:20 AM
E

Skiing in Colorado

I am looking for a place to ski that has a lot of green and easy blue slops in Colorado. (Maybe Buttermilk Mountain, Keystone, Purgatory, Telluride, or Beaver Creek??) I'm also looking for a place to stay that isn't going to bust my budget but isn't a dump. Any ideas???

Old Sep 24th, 2001, 08:36 AM
ingrid

Hi E:
How do you do with high altitudes as this is something to consider if you hail from low altitudes. Until we took our daughter skiing in Copper it never had occurred to us that this might be a problem (just figured that the incredible tiredness was an uncomfortable byproduct of skiing). Our daughter was incredibly sick, hooked up to oxygen around the clock for 2 days and then for 12 hours the rest of the time.
Unfortunately, you can't predict this susceptibility; general fitness level is no indicator (and no, the altitude sickness pills didn't work).

Old Sep 24th, 2001, 08:55 AM
Teresa

Keystone is very family friendly. It's located in Summit County, which has a huge variety of lodgings. Frisco is a nearby community that may have some cheaper hotels/condos since it doesn't have a mountain right in town. At the same time Frisco is a fun mountain town with shopping, restaurants, etc. and close to Keystone, Copper Mountain, etc. We've stayed in most of the Summit County areas and never have a problem getting around. In addition, Summit County has the usual budget hotels--just depends on what you're looking for. Ingrid has a good point about altitude although we've never experienced what her poor daughter did. Just be aware that altitude may be an issue and try to give yourself 24 hours or so to get acclimated before tearing off to the slopes. Have fun!

Old Sep 24th, 2001, 03:02 PM
kima

If your thinking of Keystone and Summit County I have a condo that we rent out direct. It is 30% less than an agency charges for the SAME unit. E-mail me for flyer [email protected]

about the altitude drink lots of water before and during your stay, Asprin helps too. Asprin not the substitutes.

Old Sep 24th, 2001, 03:36 PM
Holly

E -

Keystone has, I believe, the longest green run in the state of Colorado. (I think it's Schoolmarm). The night skiing is great.

Old Sep 25th, 2001, 08:17 AM
melinda

While Telluride is known for black runs it has a mountain that is full of green runs and no one is over there. I absolutely love the easy runs there as it is uncrowded and nice long runs with nothing scary. I have found that if you look at a trail map it really doesn't show the whole picture. Lots of green runs are just catwalks that are flat but narrow and scary. So many mountains have the blue and black runs feeding into the greens so it is intimidating to have everyone flying by at Indy 500 speeds. Telluride is expensive but there are places in town that are relatively inexpensive. Beaver Creek is more expensive but has their green runs at the top of the mountains so you have great views.

Old Sep 25th, 2001, 11:26 AM
Leta

I would second the vote for Keystone. They do have an incredibly long green run that is perfect for real beginners. Copper is another good ski area, especially for intermediate. Both are close to good towns for lodging, restaurants and shopping.

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 03:51 AM
Ann

What about Winter Park? Anyone have a comment on this resort? Not interested in glitz but definitely someplace nice for first-time skiers.

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 05:14 AM
Shelly

This is a great thread. I put this question out a few months ago and NADA was the response. Can anyone tell me what airport you fly into for Keystone. I also here Vail has a variety of green slopes

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 05:15 AM
Shelly

Can you expect Snow during Thanksgiving in keystone?

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 05:39 AM
Shelly

I just went to gorp travel. They say that beginner area in Keystone is 12% but in vail it is 21%. So confused why some here have listed Keystone as the resort with the largest amount of beginner slopes.

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 05:42 AM
bm

The airport you fly into to ski Keystone would be Denver. Breckenridge also has a lot of tamer slopes. Breck is also a great town with lots of good restaraunts/nightlife.

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 06:13 AM
Teresa

Vail is a great place to ski (that's where I learned many many many moons ago) but it's the feeling of many that Keystone is overall more family-friendly. Don't know why--maybe it's their marketing slant. As for Thanksgiving snow in Keystone, etc.--your guess is as good as mine. It really just depends on the year. Of course they'll have man-made snow but that's a poor alternative if there's little snow to begin with. On the plus side you'd still find plenty of fun things to do in Keystone, Copper, Vail, etc. Keystone has an ice skating rink in the village, for example. Someone mentioned Winter Park--we love skiing there but you're fairly isolated from other ski areas/towns if you're looking to ski at several places during your trip. Overall Breckenridge probably has the 'best' downtown area but we've found it often too crowded on the slopes--something you'll want to consider if you're in the beginner range.

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 06:54 AM
Shelly

Thanks Teresea. I planned a trip to Paris but feel like I want to be State side this year. Not worried I live in NYC but more appreciative at the moment of what we have here. Thanks for your input.

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 08:26 AM
Teresa

Shelly,
I understand--we're feeling the same way right now. Home and family are top priority right now. My husband, kids and I got back from our first trip to New York the week before the attack...we absolutely loved New York and New Yorkers and have no doubt both will perservere. We'll be back!!

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 08:50 AM
Shelly

We will come back, thanks Teresea. I have always known we were a potential target just never expected this in my life time. So sad here right now as it should be but not for long. I knew at least one person (professionally) who was killed and know he would be bouncing back if he were out here right now. A salesman with charm and force at the same time. Heck he would not be identifying with the loss, I just know it. So I take my cue from this expectation. Ugly as it sounds we need the people who know how to keep the ball moving. On this note back to work.

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 10:17 AM
Suzanne

I've looked at many slopes online and in books. Looks like the best slopes for beginners are Aspen (Buttermilk mountain area, 35% green and 39% blue slopes), Purgatory (23% green and 51% blue slopes), WinterPark (33% green and 27% blue), Vail (28% green and 32% blue), and Wolfcreek (20% green and 35% blue). I actually learned to ski in Park City Utah. If anyone ever has a chance to ski at Alta close to Salt Lake City I would recommend it. Wasn't crowded at all when I went.

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 11:23 AM
Marla

Something to think about ---- a "green" slope at Breckenridge is not the same as a "green" slope at Aspen, Vail, Copper, etc. I've skied several in the area, in my opinion, Copper's greens are more difficult than Breckenridge. Breckenridge has more town and nightlife, Vail is expensive, but Beaver Creek is more expensive. Keystone is another nice area that's reasonably priced.

Old Sep 28th, 2001, 10:55 AM
Kay

My experience--Winter Park, Keystone, and Brecekenridge. Learned on greens at WP; now can ski all blues at WP and tried the greens and blues at both Keystone and Breckenridge.

On the percentages--they are just that. Because some of the resorts are larger than others, a small % of green can still be more area than another with a large % green. Agreed with earlier poster--green at one may be blue at another--I send my husband down the slope first to test it for me.

My opinions:

WP--town is just a wide spot in the road; emphasis in on skiing rather than other activities or nightlife; now has on-mountain condos but still no "village"; inexpensive; casual; crowded on weekends and holiday but deserted during the week; great instructors; lots of greens and blues--even a blue bowl that opens sometime in January. Our favorite.

Keystone--lodging and restaurants at two bases so village atmosphere; in town away from slopes is large ice skating lake; moderate expense; one long green so not much variety at easier end of scale; too many fast skiers on the green run.

Breckenridge--slopes run right into a true town, not ski village; several bases--know where you want to go and end up; moderate expense; very wide open runs; yet still some crowding.

Old Oct 16th, 2001, 12:32 PM
kima

One area that gets little mention is Ski Cooper. The best place for beginners on a budget. They have 2-1 coupons on thier web site. This is a small area by CO standards, but as beginners will will find MORE terrain at Ski Cooper than at other resorts. You can park right at the lift for free. Easy to go back to the car for lunch or to pick up drop off things. Very easy for familes to let the kids go and meet with them later. No its not fancy but great snow, great prices, really friendly atmosphere. You can stay in Leadville pretty cheaply and get to Copper and Vail as well if your ready for the big time!

BTW I have to say the Winter Park is my least favorite resort in Colorado. Crowded away from the other resorts so your kinda stuck there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -