Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Skiing and snowmobiling in Jackson Hole WY area in March...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2010, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My hubby and I will be skiing and playing in the Jackson Hole area in March. We are planning a week and a half trip ould like to stay at two different places while we are there. Considering Spring Creek Ranch, Wyoming Inn, Snow King Inn, Rusty Parrot Lodge and Teton Mtn Lodge. Any pros and cons would be appreciated. Also planning on snowmobiling into Yellowstone any suggestions for tour company? We have done West Yellowstone to Old Faithfull before and are thinking of doing the Old Faithfull, Yellowstone Canyon loop. Anyone who has done that, please chime in! Thanks!!!
Old Nov 18th, 2010, 11:31 AM

Many, Many moons ago I skied in Jackson Hole. Stayed at the Snow King resort:

Pros:
Big
Good bar
own mountain to ski if you did not want to head over to Jackson.
good value
cons:
A bit of a hike into town
A bit of a drive to Jackson Hole resort

I am not sure if this is still going on but we took snowmobile tour of Yellowstone. Full day event (5 am leave and 7 pm return) but it was the highlight of the trip!! Took the snowmobiles on the acess road all the way to Old Faithful and back out. Do not remember the tour group. It was arranged by the Snow King Resort.

..also another think we liked was the Elk reserve tour.

-john
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 03:13 PM

We are in Jackson Hole now, for just one more day. We stayed in town at The Wort Hotel and loved it! It is definitely a 4 star hotel and is in town, close to restaurants, bars and shopping. We got a buy 3 get 1 free night special at a FABULOUS rate! We are now at the ski resort, Jackson Hole, Teton Village in the Snake River Lodge. It is a great location for ski-in ski-out, but the restaurants and things to do, other than skiing, are limited. The best hotel here is the Four Seasons, I'd say from just walking through the lobby. It definitely looks like a 5 star. There are several over priced spas in Teton Village, a couple ok restaurants, several over priced ones, and a couple places to get pub food. There are lots of companies that do snowmobile rides, sleigh rides, etc. The hotels all have information about them. I've heard good things about the Rusty Parrot Lodge, but nothing about the other you mentioned. If you go on The Wort Hotel's website, you'll find a list of restaurants to try. We rented a car one day and drove up the the Grand Teton National Park visitors' center; just a short drive out of town. The south entrance to Yellowstone is closed, so if you go there, they'll probably have to take you around to the west entrance. We also drove along the back side of the Elk Refuge and saw heards of elk and long horn sheep up close. All the JH folks have been very friendly!
Old Feb 8th, 2011, 01:57 PM

Two years ago this week we were in Yellowstone for 7 nights. Stayed at the Old Faithful Snow Lodge for 3 of them and did the snowmobile trip of the lower loop from there. We loved it. It was pretty much an all day outing so I think you'd have to have at least one night in the Park, if not 2. Would love to do it again.

Have a fabulous trip to a gorgeous part of our country.
Old Mar 18th, 2011, 09:32 AM

Spring Creek is kind of a junk show, the best hotel in the area is the Amangani, by far. The Wort is a really nice place too, and right in the heart of town. Most of the spas in the area are overpriced, but have nice facilities. I'd say stay at a nice hotel and use their amenities. But, get a massage from a local independent place like Profile. And take your snowmobile trip to Granite Hot Springs, it's a natural hot spring pool tucked way back in the mountains and is only accessible via sled.

http://www.amanresorts.com/amangani/home.aspx
http://www.profilemassage.com
http://granitehotsprings.mountainmancountry.com/