Winter in Yellowstone?

Search

Winter in Yellowstone?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter in Yellowstone?

I'd love to hear from anyone who's taken a winter trip to Yellowstone. There are a lot of choices, and I'd love to hear about favorite activities and the differences between Mammoth and Snow Lodge (the only two options for winter, I think).

I'm especially curious to hear from folks who've done one of their packages to see if it was worth the money or if it's better to go and arrange activities once you're there.

I appreciate the help!
Melissa
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 01:52 PM

Melissa, I went to Yellowstone winter before last and it was fantastic! We stayed in West Yellowstone. I think your options in the park are very limited, with respect to where to eat and what to do besides cross country ski.

We took a snowcoach tour and saw a ton of wildlife; bison, elk, bald eagle. Of course we saw Old Faithful and some of the other geothermic activity area. It was an all day trip (8-5) with a lunch break at Snow Lodge. Our desk clerk at our hotel made the arrangements for us.

Alternatively, you can take a snowmobile tour into the park. There are a limited number of machines allowed in each day and you have to join a tour group.

West Yellowstone is a lively little town with lots of bars, restaurants, shops, and museums.
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

It's great to know there are good alternatives outside the park, and that hotels might help with tour arrangements.

The wildlife viewing sounds spectacular! Thanks for sharing.
melissa
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 03:20 PM

We took an Alki tour (local Seattle outfit) in February and it was fabulous. We were picked up by snow coach in West Yellowstone and stayed at the Snow Lodge, a hop, skip and jump from Old Faithful.

My only gripe was that they served an ungodly amount of food (most of which was wasted) at outrageous prices and there was no alternative place to eat; no way to refrigerate or re-heat leftovers to minimize the waste.
The park itself was wonderful, as were the guides who drove the snow coaches.

Never got to Mammoth,so no help with that.
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 06:46 AM

We stayed in Mammoth Lodge, but it was eons ago when the sons were around 13 & 15 yo. Back then, we were allowed to do the snowmobile trips on our own (though I think a guide is a very good idea).
We did the snow coach tour to Old Faithful & rode the snowmobiles to West Yellowstone for lunch (Buffalo Burgers)at a hotel restaurant.

Mammoth is/was VERY rustic - nothing at all fancy. Yet, the restaurant there was formal in service & menu, but informal in attire (anything goes).

There ice skating rink on the premises.
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 06:49 AM

Sorry - meant: There IS an ice skating rink on the premises.
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 09:09 AM

I don't have information about the lodges, but want to add my enthusiasm for visiting Yellowstone in the winter. We went in late January and stayed in West Yellowstone at the Three Bears Lodge. The Lodge is NOT fancy, but through it we were able to rent snow mobiles (get the upgraded ones with heated handlebars - I'm a wimpy Floridian) and complete snowmobiling "gear" (snowsuits, helmets, and gloves). We loved seeing all the wildlife and sights of the park in all its pristine, snowy splendor (without the crowds of summer). If you're a skiier, you might want to travel a short trip north of Yellowstone (about an hour I think) to Big Sky, Montana.
Have a wonderful time!