Ski Weekend near Chicago??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 2005, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friends and I are trying to plan a little weekend ski getaway. There will be about 15 of us, all in our mid 20's, and we all are beginners skiing. We realize that Alpine and Chestnut Mtn. are great places for beginners, but I think whats more important to us is the actual lodging. Ideally we want to go somewhere with outdoor hot tubs and/or a nice pool (either indoor or outdoor). The weekend is more about hanging out with a big group of friends than about finding the best black diamond slopes. I've contacted Alpine and Chestnut Mtn, both of which only have indoor pools/hot tubs...and they both will cost around $300 for the weekend per person for a ski package. Are these nice lodges/accomodations at these places? I know if we were willing to drive about 3 hours away from Chicago we could definitely find a place with nice outdoor hot tubs and stuff, but most of the people in the group are going to be leaving right after work on Friday and will not want to drive more than 2 hours. Do you think Alpine is the best choice for us? Anything better in the areas? Thanks for any help.
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 10:27 AM
JJ5

I really don't know what part of Chicago you are coming from, but I come from Tinley Park and both of these places took us more than 3 hours, I believe. You may be closer to Alpine if you are far North.

It's been 5 or 6 years so I can't give you recent information, but I do believe that Chestnut was nice. They are both very crowded and not what I would call 4 or 5 start- more like 3 or 3-1/2 at the most.

I don't do this, I'm a MI person- but I have friends who do the indoor water parks near the Dells for these types of weekends and drive further to the ski spots.
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 11:21 AM
JJ5

I was wrong on location of Alpine Valley, but I was right about distances.

Neither of the places you are considering are close to 2 hours distance from Chicago.

Chestnut Mountain is 177 miles from Chicago for a driving distance of 3 hours and 50 minutes.

Alpine Valley is in White Lake Michigan near Ann Arbor (48383) and is further at 4 hours and 10 minutes estimate. And that's when there is no snow on I-80 and the toll booths are not backed up. ha-ha-ha!

I thought you were considering the place near Geneva Wisconsin. That would be 2 hours and 30 minutes from mid-Chicago.

And they all are 3 star.
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 12:02 PM

Devil's Head in Baraboo, Wisconsin is nice and usually offers decent packages. I have spent New Years there with groups of friends and had fun. It is about 2 1/2 hours away. I do like Alpine too.
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 01:32 PM

I second the Devil's Head suggestion. Its about 3 hours from the loop, closer if you in the northern suburbs. Its 30 minutes from Madison as well.
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 01:44 AM
Original Poster

It was Alpine Valley near Lake Geneva, WI that I was talking about. And yes, we are coming from the North side of the city. It looks like Devils Head will be our destination, I checked them out and they seemed to have the nicest accomodations of the three we were considering.