Ski and snowmobile Lake Tahoe late March 2022

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2021, 04:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thinking of a week long family trip to an area such as Tahoe. Not exclusively for skiing, since some of our group won't ski. Group of 6 adults ages 66 to 29, 4 kids ages 3 to 9. Would want to rent a nice cabin or a nice hotel with nice views, hot tub, etc. Would like to be near somewhere for a snowmobile outing.
The last week of March works due to kids' spring break. I've heard Yellowstone roads are closed in late March. Not looking for luxury accommodations, but not "spartan'.
My question is not about finding a specific resort or cabin. It is more about finding out if this is a good time to visit the Lake Tahoe area, for some skiing, sightseeing, snowmobiling, etc.
We live in the South, but going to snowy locations is nothing new to us.
Any suggestions?
Old Jul 4th, 2021, 05:21 AM

It's ok. I detest snowmobiling and don't respect anyone who does it and think it should be banned, except for guys in Alaska doing it because they have to. I think it is a terrible activity for anyone to do in terms of what it does to the mountain and environment, just the idea of machines and noise on a beautiful mountain makes me sick. There is no reason for it at all. Snowmobiles generate about the same decibles as a road with traffic if you are within 100 feet of them, and that does not belong on the mountain. They also disturb natural wildlife and can inhibit their passing on trails and just living peacefully in nature. I know they are banned in certain areas, thank goodness. The Forest Svc has banned them from Mt Rose, I believe, for one, and they've been talking about it for years around Lake Tahoe, but due to money, of course (tourist dollars), they are not totally banned. They have the same two stroke engines as jet skis, which are banned.

March isn't the best time to go if you want a guarantee of good snow for skiing, It can be or can not be, you never know until the actual time due to weather. Most of the time when I've been there end of March, it has not been good. Tahoe is lower altitude than many CO ski resorts, and with global warming (note snowmobiling is contributing to that due to its pollution from the combustion engines, as well as the pollution on the snow it causes which affects snow chemistry), it is often getting too warm at that time so the snow condition can be really bad. And some years it doesn't snow that much, so you just never know. I as there one year just third week in March where even though they had many feet of snow from the winter, you couldn't ski well as oit was so warm, you sunk into it, actually. The problem was it was not even getting cold enough at night, even at night on the mountain, I think it was not below 50 or something.
Old Jul 4th, 2021, 07:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
No comment on snowmobiling other than to say electric snowmobiles are now available and should be in pretty widespread use in the next couple of years.

Late season snow at Lake Tahoe tends to be pretty wet and heavy. For skiers of middling ability, it can be tough. You'd have better chances of good snow in Utah, esp. at Alta/Snowbird. If it must be Lake Tahoe, Kirkwood has the highest elevation and mostly north-facing slopes.
Old Jul 4th, 2021, 08:50 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Jeeze -- ask a simple question and get a lecture! (BTW snowmobiles are not banned on Mt Rose -- They are prohibited on the south side of the Mt Rose Highway but there is access on the north side)

As for your plan -- I read your other thread and Tahoe will have different issues than Yellowstone but there are still issues.

Depending on the weather pattern next year, March can have decent spring skiing and even heavy snow storms . . . or the last big storm could have hit in Jan/Feb and and there is little snow left. Every single year is different - one year there is still a massive snow pack and the next there is virtually none in accessible areas. Assuming next year is more 'normal' than this year, most ski resorts will still be open because if nothing else, they have snow making equipment. They all try to stay open til after Easter which isn't until April 4 next year. I certainly wouldn't count on snowmobiling at that time of year -- hopefully we'll have a great snow season (We absolutely need it) and there will be masses of snow. A guesstimate would be 65-70-ish% of the years, March still has full on winter conditions.

I agree that Kirkwood might be best.

IF there is a lousy snow season/snow base -- then Tahoe isn't a great place for a family vacation in late March. None of the water sports have opened up yet and without skiing, snow shoeing, and snow mobiles there isn't that much to do except possibly some hiking. Unfortunately we won't know which way things are going snow-wise until next Feb when the bulk of the big storms have gone through.

Old Jul 4th, 2021, 09:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Agree. Depends on snow pack, but go for it. It will probably be fine, particularly the larger resorts. You may also want to consider Mammoth.
Old Jul 4th, 2021, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Ekellydds
Thinking of a week long family trip to an area such as Tahoe. Not exclusively for skiing, since some of our group won't ski. Group of 6 adults ages 66 to 29, 4 kids ages 3 to 9. Would want to rent a nice cabin or a nice hotel with nice views, hot tub, etc. Would like to be near somewhere for a snowmobile outing.
The last week of March works due to kids' spring break. I've heard Yellowstone roads are closed in late March. Not looking for luxury accommodations, but not "spartan'.
My question is not about finding a specific resort or cabin. It is more about finding out if this is a good time to visit the Lake Tahoe area, for some skiing, sightseeing, snowmobiling, etc.
We live in the South, but going to snowy locations is nothing new to us.
Any suggestions?
I belong to a ski club whose lodge is in the Tahoe area. I've been skiing the area since 1987 and I do not recall a year when downhill skiing was not possible in March, even for intermediate skiers. However, snowmobiles operate at the lower altitudes which might have little snow. At lake level, most of the snow generally disappeared by the middle of March.
Old Jul 4th, 2021, 07:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
https://opensnow.com/news/post/calif...-closing-dates

As Michael say above, I think you should go for Tahoe.
Old Jul 8th, 2021, 02:18 AM
Original Poster

thank you all