Skagway AK White Pass Railroad Trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it better to go on the 8:15 AM or the 12:45 PM railroad trip in Skagway? I was wondering which is USUALLY less foggy/cloudy? Thanks!
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 03:39 AM

It is a myth that there is more fog in the am, simply not true. Can happen anytime. But frequently will have several clear areas even if there is fog.

So book when it fits your touring timeframe best. Most important, sit on the left leaving Skagway.
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the info -left side it will be! I'll be there in Aug. and I think I could take either trip that day. I'm planning more time in Skagway based on your recommendations to another thread I posted earlier-now I'm allowing a full day/night in Skagway where before it was only about 6 hrs. Appreciate your help, budgetqueenalaska-and anyone else's-with my planning!
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 06:29 AM
Neopolitan

Budget queen, your suggestion to sit on the left seems to make sense, but on our round trip they told us that we should remain on our same seats on the return as the train was full and that would provide everyone with seeing both sides. That meant if you were on the left going up which is supposedly more scenic, then you have the far less scenic ride coming back down. Frankly the "gorge" side is even better coming down that it is going up.

Minor point, but we were told to sit on the right, and we were glad we did, because of the breathtaking views coming back down. So, momof3boys, take my suggestion for what it's worth. Of course if they don't make you sit on the same side, it would be ideal to sit on the left going up and the right coming back down.

Old Mar 26th, 2006, 06:00 AM

Sorry, but it is still recommended to sit on the left side going up. Just about All the commentary is on that portion. Most trains switch the engines, but I have heard some use the Y and turn around. If you do want the view side both ways and not have to switch, sit across from the bathroom.

It is also a great spot to stand out on the open platforms at least part of the trip. And yes, I agree, the scenery is different each way.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 06:10 AM

MHO only...if it's foggy when you get on, sit on the right side. On the return trip, after the train does a U-turn at the end, you will be sitting on the 'view' side at a time when the fog has probably burned off.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 06:44 AM
Neopolitan

And be aware that going up you need to keep looking behind you, where the views out to the bay are -- that's the spectacular view -- not what's ahead of you. That's why I like the view coming down, more than going up. But different strokes for different folks.

Old Mar 26th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

I think I'll email the company and ask if they turn the train around at the top or switch an engine to the rear. Of course, you could be on the R side in clear weather on the way up anticipating the way down and fog or rain roll in. Oh boy!
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 05:04 PM

They do turn around. You will be on the opposite side of the train on the way back. Keep an eye out at the top of the pass for natural bonsai trees. The rock they grow in keeps them from getting very big and they have the have the look of very large old growth but only stand 3 ft tall. Also take binoculars with you if you want to spot the mountain goat that live along the cliffs. They can be difficult to spot from a distance without them! What great scenery you are in for!@
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 02:44 AM

They do not turn around all trains, it is far more frequent to see the engines switched. I have stopped many times and watched this, including two different times last year. Engines are switched at White Pass Summit, where Canadian customs is, have never seen the train turned around there. There is also Fraisier where the trains go.