Sitka, Alaska

May 10th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Sitka, Alaska

On a trip that includes a stop in Sitak do you need a car, or can you walk to most of the places you might want to visit? Or, hire a guide?
May 10th, 2009, 07:11 PM

We were surprised that we enjoyed the semi-submersible boat trip. The Russian Bishop's House, St. Michael's Cathedral, and the Totem Park were all walkable.
May 10th, 2009, 07:19 PM

If you are arriving by air, you probably will need to rent a car at the airport. If coming by ship, you can probably walk, but a car would be preferred. If you want to see the Alaska Raptor Center www.alaskaraptor.org , you will definitely need one. No guides are necessary as the town is small and fairly compact.
May 11th, 2009, 06:11 AM

NO, you do not need a car, if arriving by cruiseship and going to the Raptor Center, not sure if this poster has even been there?? Recommending this, is a waste of time.

There are all day shuttle buses, $10pp, IF you have mobility limitations which has the Raptor Center as one of the stops. The Sitka Heritage National Park is also an excellent visit, with no mobility limitations, purchase the cheap guide book and walk the lever 1 mile path by the totems.

But a top tour choice here, are the independent boat tours, fantastic for varied wildlife, and a must, if puffins are a priority. This is the only accessable rookery for cruiseship passengers on the Inside Passage.
May 11th, 2009, 11:15 AM

"NO, you do not need a car, if arriving by cruiseship and going to the Raptor Center, not sure if this poster has even been there?? Recommending this, is a waste of time."

Yes, I have been there, and I stand by my recommendation! I would not want to have to walk there.

However, I did not know about the shuttle buses.
May 11th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips on the buses and the rest of the info.

Related question - We are on a cruise and we stop in both Sitka and Ketchikan. I want to go salmon fishing, which port would you recommend for that?
May 12th, 2009, 04:52 AM

Ketchikan has better salmon fishing.
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:58 AM

We just got back from Sitka and absolutely LOVED this town. We had, by far, our best time in Sitka while in Alaska. In the morning we went on a boat tour with an independent operator named Gallant Adventures. The owner is the captain who is a local and also a field geologist who worked mostly on the Arctic Ocean. The trip was amazing! He took us out to see some of his secret spots while looking for all the wildlife that can be seen around Sitka. We saw a brown bear on the beach and got super close due to his smaller boat and quiet Honda motor, a sea lion haul-out, 2 rafts of sea otters, and an awesome whale show where the Capt got us downwind to smell whale breath. I highly recommend this tour which lasted a little over 2 hrs. After that, we took a taxi to Herring Cove trail and spent a few hrs walking this beautiful trail. Oh, and before the hike we ate kabobs at 2 chicks and a stick. Yumm!