Fairbanks, Alaska Transportation

Old Jan 10th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fairbanks, Alaska Transportation

I plan to go to Fairbanks, Alaska in March to see Ice Alaska, the ice sculpture show. The website www.icealaska.com does not have any information on transportation to the ice park. Does anyone know if there is a shuttle bus going to and from ice park? If not, is there a hotel within walking distance? I prefer to not rent a car.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 01:43 PM

We plan to get around in Fairbanks in March '05 via the bus system as we are not eager to rent a car either. Day bus passes are $3.00 which is a bargain.
We're hoping one of the routes goes near the Ice Park.

http://www.co.fairbanks.ak.us/transportation/
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 08:33 AM

You are making a big mistake. You NEED a CAR. The public transportation is lacking and no easy ways around. ESPECIALLY at the Ice Sculpture park- you want to be there AT NIGHT- day viewing is only a tease. AND this can involve hours of walking around. There is a hotel on the corner- but the name escapes. But this location won't be good for anything else, a long way from downtown, Alaska U and all the other activites you may be interested in. You also need to get OUT OF FAIRBANKS for the aurora. It would be like trying to see the Empire State Building from Albany.
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

The Comfort Inn Fairbanks told me that they are right across from the ice park and I could walk there. Since I am only going to Fairbanks to see the ice sculptures it seemed like the best solution.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 04:39 AM

Frankly- no it isn't a good solution. You need a car in Fairbanks. You will have VERY little in the way of meal choices and nothing else in that area except the highway and residential area. Are you going to other areas in Alaska??
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

I'll be in Fairbanks less than 24 hours. It is just a short side trip after my primary Anchorage trip. I'll arrive in Fairbanks on the early evening of 3/5 in order to see Ice Alaska. In the morning I'll have a few hours to go back and view the sculptures and kids park in the day before returning home. If I had done more research before purchasing my plane tickets I would have stayed longer in order to stay a few nights at Chena Hot Springs.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 05:14 PM

Yikes that is a short time. Hopefully you will have some aurora viewing- would really cap off the trip for you.