Siteseeing from Orlando to Destin

Old Nov 4th, 2001, 10:14 AM
Janet

Siteseeing from Orlando to Destin

We are going to be spending a week with realatives over Christmas in Destin and we are going to take the opportunity to spend a couple of days in Orlando the week before and then drive up. What I need to know is there anything that shouldn't be missed on the drive, should we spend all of our time in Orlando and then stick to the Highways for a straight shot to Destin? We are travling with two young children who are great travelers and we are looking for some expert Northern Florida advice. Thanks, Janet

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 05:49 AM
rob

i'm assuming you'll travel I-10 the I-75. I really can't think of any "major" attractions....various state parks & springs etc... ex. florida caverns state park. the manatees start going to the springs at that time. theres a st. park west of leesburg that supposedly has a lot of manatees but i can't remember the name.

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 06:24 AM
panhandler

all I can think of that you'll see is trees.
We call that stretch of I-10 desert alley.

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 12:03 PM
Celeste

The park with the manatees is Homossassa Springs. I also really like Silver Springs Park in Ocala but it's an actual attraction and therefore a little pricey.

We always take the back roads from Ocala to Panama City so we're along the coast and traveling a little slower than the 90 MPH we commonly encounter on Rt. 75 and I-10.

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 09:44 AM
Jeannie

I have to agree that there isn't much to see. However, I wouldn't take HWY 98 through Port St. Joe and Apalachicola, unless I had plenty of time to kill. If you want the fastest route, this is it: From Destin, travel norht a little bit and pick up HWY 20. Go east on HWY 20 for about 80 miles, past the tiny towns of Bristol, Hosford, and Bloxham. Just east of Bloxham, fork to the right onto HWY 267. Go east on HWY 267 until you reach the intersection of HWY 98. This turn can be tricky. Turn EAST on HWY 98 and follow 98 until you hit HWY 27 at Perry. From Perry, take main HWY 27 to pick up I-75, OR continue south on HWY 19/98 to Chiefland, then take alt 27 to pick up I-75. Once you are on I-75, you'll see sign to the Florida Turnpike.

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 10:12 AM
Glen

Janet,

As a resident of the area, I suggest that if you have time, you drive east and south down towards Orlando on as many of the old U.S. and State highways as you can. You'll see some great country and experience North Florida in a way Interstate travellers never do. You'll see some quaint little towns, and there are quite a few parks in the area. To name a few: Florida Caverns State Park, Falling Waters SP, Wakulla Springs, Manatee Springs, Silver Springs (site of early Tarzan and Creature from the Black Lagoon movies). It's worth the drive.

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 01:24 PM
jeannie

if you follow my suggested route, it will take you right near the entrance to Wakulla Springs. It is beautiful and looks like "Old Florida." You may even be able to have a meal at the Lodge.

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 01:25 PM
Al

If you go through Pana,a City Beach, or thereabouts, take Rt. 98 to Destin. Some 20 miles or so past Panama City Beach, on the left side, going to Destin, stop to eat at The Donut Hole. It's a great place, and quite an adventure. The food is good, the prices are right, and the place is unforgettable. I'm sure you and your kids will love it.