Search

Single destination

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2000, 02:25 PM
gretchen

Single destination

I have not done any travel alone in over 30 years and I just want to get away where I will not feel uncomfortable. Any suggestions? Probably the US would be the simplist. Just need a week's vacation away from my family.

Old Jul 9th, 2000, 02:49 PM
susan

It seems to me the simplest place to travel alone would be a large resort where nobody really knows who's with whom (if anybody). My personal favorite place would also be someplace I currently go with my husband: Key West. It's a small town with tons of restaurants and nobody pays a whit's attention to anyone else!

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 09:15 AM
kelly

Gretchen--what would be your starting point?? Would you drive or Fly?? Does hot weather bother you??
Boy do I know the feeling of needing to get away.My oldest daughter has moved home 3 times and am caregiver for my mother -in-law. I enjoy traveling alone but have learned to pick places I am comfortable. The idea of large resort is a good one. Make sure there are resturants in the resort and close by..I stayed in the financial district of Seattle (Had a Hilton freebee) Everything closed up when all the offices closed.
Usually my agenda is sit by the pool. read. love to walk (do so everyday),also like a place with fitness center or access to one--helps work off the resturant fare.
People on this forum are very helpful you can give alittle insight into your likes and dislikes..

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 05:25 AM
Debi

I don't know what your budget is, but a few years ago, I decided to take a week and get away from it all. I went to the Bonaventure Spa in Florida and had a week of pampering, exercise and incredible food. I went by myself and never felt at all uncomfortable. There were many women there by themselves. The effects lasted for months. I need to do it again!!

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 12:31 PM
Ed

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 12:45 PM
lisa

I went to Key West by myself and had a wonderful week's vacation. Stayed at the Southernmost Point Guest House very reasonably (www.southernmostpoint.com), right across the street from a beach and walking distance to all the shops and restaurants, etc. I would definitely recommend it. There's a good variety of things to do there -- take a trolley tour of the island, tour the Hemingway House, take a boat trip to the coral reefs (snorkeling optional), decent shopping, great restaurants.

I have also enjoyed numerous trips to New York City and Chicago (and, before I moved here, to Washington DC). Sometimes big cities are easy trips for single travellers because you can get "lost in the crowd" -- also, hotels and restaurants in big cities are used to single travellers since they have lots of them for business travel so noone bats an eye at a "table for one." New York City is especially fun because there's so much to do, particularly if you like theatre, museums, shopping, etc.

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 01:08 PM
Ann

Another vote for Key West. I think it would ideal for a single traveler. My husband and I just went there for a week, and I thought more than once that this was a place I could come to by myself just to relax, and not feel uncomfortable.

I also like the spa idea, if money's not a barrier.

NYC would also be good, unless you get nervous in a large city by yourself.
Although I live in Washington, D.C., I think it would be better explored with a partner.