Search

NYC - museums

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 09:08 AM
kath

NYC - museums

I am taking my 10 yr old son to NYC for only 2 days and would like to take him to a museum. It doesn't really matter which one, he's the type of kid that would really appreciate any of them, plus we are just doing the tourist thing ya know. I wonder if I could get your opinion on which you think would be the best choice for us.

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 09:25 AM
Caitlin

Younger kids usually really enjoy the Museum of Natural History. In addition to the usual dinosaurs, etc., there usually very good and interesting special exhibits. Additionally, the new Rose planetarium opened recently (official name is much fancier); you'll need to reserve tickets in advance for that.

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 09:50 AM
Em

i second the vote for the natural history museum; get to any museum at its opening. In my opinion, unless your son has seen lots of 1st rate dinosaur exhibits, that is the star attraction. Check the dates though; its not open every day of the week: I think it is closed Fri & the Met is closed Mon. Mets dining room is ok; walk over to Columbus ave or franks in front of natural history (poor food in the rest. dr) Take your son on the "beast"(speed boat tour near statute of liberty) &/or circle line. China town is great for kids too. Enjoy!
Metropolitan museum's egytpian stuff & the temple of dendur might intrigue your son. Great view of the park & city from the mets sculpture garden on the roof.

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 09:54 AM
Helen

The Met would also be a good option - in addition to the immense art collection, there are mummies, suits of armor, and other cool stuff.

Either choice puts you right next to Central Park, a great place to recover after hours spent in a museum.

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 10:18 AM
tweedy

The suggestions you got earlier are excellent, but I would add a couple more ideas. How about the Central Park Zoo, we were there just last week and the exhibits are very well done. The Zoo was rennovated a few years ago and upgraded and it was a job well done.

Also you might want to do the Liberty Science Center. It is in New Jersey, but there is a ferry that goes over from southern Manhattan, and the trip is a treat in itself. The museum is also geared for kids.

Hope you have a great time here.

tweedy

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 12:40 PM
howard

Definitely spend one of the two days in the American Museum of Natural History. Your 10-year-old will love it. The dinosaurs and the planetarium should be at the top of the list....but there's a lot more there, as well.
On the second day, you could include Circle Line Cruise around Manhattan, a visit to the Statue of Liberty, a ride to the top of the Empire State Building or the World Trade Center, South Street Seaport...just to give a few suggestions.

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 01:14 PM
mat

Natural History Museum is great. The dinosaurs are a must, but I also like the sealife exhibits in the cafeteria room. Eat under a life-sized rendering of a blue whale!

See if you can find the shrunken heads. Creepy stuff.