Reload this Page >

Siesta Key (Sarasota)Hotel Recs?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 05:26 AM
Monica

After much thought, we've changed our minds on booking a trip to the Keys (have been there before but not recently)and have decided to explore the Sarasota area. Can anyone recommend a decent beachfront hotel in Siesta Key area? I've been doing some searches and most appear to be 2 bedroom condos or hotel names I'm not familiar with..anyone heard of Captiva Beach Resort? Any input appreciated. Thanks.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 06:11 AM
Marie

We stayed at the Surf & Racquet Club several times a few years ago & it was a very nice property & well-run.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 06:57 AM
Patrick

Siesta Key is primarily a condominium haven, and I was unaware of any true "hotels" on the beach, mainly actual condominiums some for rent. I just looked at the AAA Florida tour book, and I see an ad for the 20 unit Captiva Beach Resort. It is always suspect when a place says, "just steps from the beach", so I assume it is not on the beach. I do know that there is a fairly large Best Western Siesta Beach Resort, but it is also across the street from the beach. It is more a motel rather than full apartments if that is what you are looking for.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 05:17 AM
Monica

Thanks for all the responses..any other suggestions? I have time to plan this and will probably not book until end of February.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 07:06 AM
toldham

i hav stayed in sarasota a number if times in recent years. siesta key is very crowded adn hard to get around. I would vote for the hyatt regency which is just on the other side of the bridge, unless you plan to stay on the beach

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 07:57 AM
Sherry

Monica, Patrick is correct in saying that it is mostly condos on Siesta Key. If you choose to go that route, make sure that you request a unit on the "gulf" side, not the "bay" side. (Just as examples: Gulf & Bay Club, Midnight Cove, etc.) The reason I mention this is because some properties have units on each side of the road, and you probably dont want to be crossing the street (which is busy), walking all the way down to the beach. It also really depends on when you are going as to how busy the Key will be. As mentioned the Best Western is located in the "village" and is not on the beach, although not far. Your access then would be the public beach, whereas staying at a beachfront complex would give you a private beach, loungers provided. Its a great beach! Enjoy. Hope this helps.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 04:47 PM
Bananawind

Another motel you might want to consider is the Holiday Inn on Longboat Key. It is a 'Holidome', it has an indoor pool and an outdoor pool. It is right on the beach, beautiful. Longboat Key is not far from Sarasota, it is a key (barrier island)that runs along Sarasota. It is very quiet there but still close enough to Sarasota to get to restaurants, shoppping, etc.
Sharon

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 09:09 AM
mjk

Check out Siesta Dunes in Siesta Key. Condo complex that my husband and i thought were clean and very convenient. Had two bedrooms, 2 baths, kitchen, living room, and screened porch. Around 1400 dollars for the week.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 09:45 AM
laura

Do a search on Siesta Key. I can't remember the site, but there is one that lists many, many Siesta condos and has them grouped by minimum stay required (some have a 2 week minimum).

As far as crowds go, high season ends in April or May. We've gone in both summer and fall and it is not crowded. We never had a problem getting off the key to go into Sarasota.

Condo choice depends on your preference. We stay at the Jamaica Royale. We like it because they are right on the beach, they have three pools, heated to different temps, and they have garden, or ground-level condos. They have studios and 1 bedrooms as well as 2 bedroom condos, some garden, and some in thier two towers.

However, every year we say "next year we're going to try a different place." Not that we're not satisfied, it's just that so many of the condos there look nice.