Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Shuttle From Sacramento to South Lake Tahoe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2019, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking to fly up next Saturday and was pondering, instead of renting a car would taking a shuttle from Sac airport to South Lake be an option?

Cheers!
Old Mar 11th, 2019, 07:05 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Isn't one AFAIK. There is an Amtrak bus but you would first have to get to downtown Sacramento. The only public transport from SMF to Sacramento is an hourly YoloBus. So you have to take a taxi or uber to town and then catch the bus.

Can you fly to Reno instead? Amador Stage runs a shuttle from the airport to SLT. https://southtahoeairporter.com/current-schedule/ And if you decided to rent a car it would be a much shorter drive
Old Mar 11th, 2019, 07:36 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Having used Super Shuttle to & from my house pretty far from SMF, I just put in a So. Tahoe hotel address and was told by the website that it was out of their service area. But we also have private services here in Nevada County that I've used that were quite reasonably priced, about the same as Super Shuttle. A quick google search turns up this site, 2 of the 5 mention SMF airport: Airport Shuttle ? Linking Tahoe
Old Mar 11th, 2019, 08:03 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I think those are charter car hires - not 'shuttles' as such. There are several similar limo services based in Sacramento but the cost to Tahoe is very high - which isn't what I thought you were looking for. I'd guesstimate a cost of at least $350. I took a limo up the hill once, and even back in approx 2000 or 2001(I don't remember the exact year) it cost over $200.

Maybe contact them and see if they do ride shares???
Old Mar 11th, 2019, 08:24 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd guess more in the neighborhood of $250 based on what the car service I used charged me. But just contact them & ask.
Old Mar 11th, 2019, 09:48 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
The good news is that there is one Amtrak Thruway bus from Sacramento Valley station to South Lake Tahoe every day. If your flight arrives early enough, you can take the YOLO bus into downtown Sacramento and walk about 7 blocks to get to the Sacramento Valley station. The #3424 bus leaves the train station at 10AM and arrives in SLT about 12:20PM.
The return bus leaves SLT at 2:20PM and gets back to the train station about 5:25PM. The fare each way is $34 per person.
The hourly Yolo bus is Route 42 (A or B).
The safer bet is to fly to Reno and rent a car from there.
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's not a very long drive from SAC to the lake. It's also a pretty drive and the weather is supposed to be really good all weekend. It's nice to have a car up at the lake because you might want want to drive around or at least part of the way around, beautiful with all the snow, so it would be nice to have a vehicle.

All of the bus schedules will, of course, depend on your flight. Also, being a Reno resident, it's not always east to just fly into Reno, it can be a frustrating place to get in and out of. For example, I'm flying to Oakland next week and there is only one non-stop out of Reno into Oakland and sometimes they drop that flight. If I can't get that flight, then they fly me all over the west coast to get to Oakland. I have to go to Las Vegas, or LA, or Portland, often change planes and an hour flight turns into 8. So, depending on where the OP is coming from, Reno might not be an easy destination.