Sacramento South Lake Tahoe February

Nov 21st, 2009, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

Sacramento South Lake Tahoe February

Anyone aware of shuttle service (not Greyhound or Amtrak) from SMF to South Lake Tahoe? We're going into SMF (better connections) from the east coast and staying at the Embassy Suites. Everything I'm reading sounds a bit scary about the roads so I'm thinking a shuttle service would be better. Thanks!
Nov 21st, 2009, 07:53 PM

Hello kickmad, althought I have used SMF many times I have not needed to get from SMF to South Lake Tahoe. I Googled shuttle services that you require and here is one possibility, you can check it out. Otherwise I would suggest you use Google also to see if other services are available.
http://www.suvana.com/sacramento-airport-shuttle.html

Another thought, perhaps the Embassy Suites can give you some information if you call them.
Nov 22nd, 2009, 07:54 AM

I'm pretty sure your only option would be to contact Sacramento limo companies - and prepare to pay more than your airfare.

You will likely do MUCH better (even w/ a klutzty connection) flying into Reno. There are regular shuttles - here is just one.

http://www.southtahoeexpress.com/
Nov 23rd, 2009, 11:53 AM

Is it too late to fly in Reno? The bus shuttle in Janis's ling goes to South Tahoe on schedule, no reservation needed.

I did a search, and cannot find any shuttles to the South Tahoe area.

By the way, Greyhound is not going to South Tahoe, only Amtrak bus, and only once a day!
Nov 24th, 2009, 05:22 AM

You're kind of stuck with this one. There are few, if any, viable public options. The road into south shore from SMF will be US-50, whether by bus, shuttle or rental car. If there is a storm, the road will be either closed or extremely slow. If you do a rental car, you'll be required to carry chains if there is even a chance of snow. Caltrans will have checkpoints during a storm or potential storm to check for chains so don't attempt the drive without chains since they will do the same thing for your return trip.

Sorry the news isn't better but pretty much everyone who travels the route from Sacramento to Tahoe regularly knows that you have to be flexible with your plans in the winter months. Even if you fly into Reno, you'll still have to traverse a summit to get to Tahoe, with the same problems we face coming from the California side.