Hotel in Columbia River Gorge or Mt. Hood area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My trip to Oregon is almost here and I'm thinking of changing one night of my itinerary.

We arrive in Portland Friday afternoon and are booked at the Hotel Monaco. On Saturday, we want to do the Gorge/Mt Hood loop. Although I've been told it can easily be done as a day trip, we want to do some hiking in both spots and my husband is an avid photographer. So instead of returning to Portland Saturday night, I'm now thinking we should either stay in the Gorge or near Mt Hood. Any suggestions? Budget is not really an issue. We are in our early 50s and would like to eat dinner at a good restaurant in one of those areas (not big meat eaters but love seafood).

On Sunday, we would hike around Mt Hood area and then drive back to Portland for dinner and spend our third night at the Monaco.

Monday morning we are heading to Cannon Beach for two nights at the Stephanie Inn. On Wednesday, we head to Yachats for two nights at Overleaf.

Then Friday we drive back to Portland for one more night at the Monaco before our flight out on Saturday afternoon.

This is our first trip without kids in 25 years. Just sent our third off to college and then my mother passed away the next week. So we really need some time to relax and aren't interested in shopping. We are from Chicago so we are really looking forward to the waterfalls, mountains and coast.

Thanks,
Beth
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 02:22 PM

Hood River is a delightful town to spend the night. We like to stay at the Best Western, right on the river, but considering your other hotel choices, you may prefer the Columbia Gorge Hotel.

I've never eaten at the Columbia Gorge Hotel, but I've read here that the prices there are insane. Celilo Restaurant in downtown Hood River has a very pleasant atmosphere and the menu usually has at least two fish selections and pan roasted mussels.

Old Sep 15th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

I've been reading hotel reviews on Tripadvisor for that area and there is so much diversity in people's opinions! I was considering both The Columbia Gorge Hotel and the Best Western. I don't think we would eat dinner at the Columbia Gorge Hotel based on what I've read. Living in Chicago, we're used to paying high prices at restaurants, but we're not gourmets and those prices and the menu selections were not appealing. Thanks for recommending Celilo
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 02:38 PM

You willl love the Stephanie Inn in Cannon Beach, try to dine at their restaurant one night you are there, Newman's @ 988, Bistro, Wayfarer or Gower St. Bistro would be good choices for your other night or you could go to Yummy Wine Bar in nearby Seaside. We have dined there several times now, our meal a few days ago was again, wonderful! ***kim***
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 02:45 PM

Oh man.... You're husband's gonna have fun. Tell him to be sure and pack a wide-angle lens - thinking Haystack Rock at sunrise. And don't think that small creek cascading down the hillside is all there is to Wahkeena (in the Gorge). He must take the short walk up to the falls. Then, you'll probably have to walk up to drag him back an hour later.

For Mt. Hood, Timberline Lodge is probably your best bet. Easy work for your husband there. He can just stick the camera out the window. ;-)
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 02:49 PM

The Best Western has standard motel rooms, but we like the ones with a balcony overlooking the Columbia River.

Recently they have been including breakfast (limited choice) in the reasonable room rate.

At dinner, the BW restaurant is inconsistent.
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 03:04 PM

I too would opt for Timberline Lodge. Course with this short notice, you would be lucky to get a room, but definitely call and try! Honestly, it is amazing. Other than that a fun place in the gorge to stay is the Edgefield, which is a McMenamins property in Troutdale. Multnomah Falls has a nice dining room where you might opt for dinner. If you sit in the glass enclosed room you can have a great view of the falls themselves, otherwise you are in the room with the huge fireplace. Both are nice, just depends on what you like.
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 05:00 PM

About eighteen years ago, off-season, I booked one of the few rooms at Timberline Lodge with a fireplace and two beds. The rate, which was less than $150, included a very good dinner.

More recently I was given a room so small that an uncomfortable double bed pretty much filled it. We spent a sleepless night.

Timberline Lodge is a wonderful structure to explore, and it is fun to eat lunch there, but
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 08:05 AM

If you are not on a budget, definitely go for the Columbia Gorge Hotel! ***kim***
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 08:29 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Or McMenamin's Edgefield in Troutdale, have a beer or five, or check out the on-site winery or distillery, watch a movie, dig the art, and not worry about driving after. www.mcmenamins.com
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 08:52 AM

The Edgefield is a very fun place to stay - but not exactly in the Gorge-
It used to be the "poor farm" now turned into a hotel - its great but be forwarned that most of the rooms do not have private baths - they provide you with a bathrobe and you have to go down in the hall in your robe to get to the shared BR.

Have not stayed at the Columbia Gorge Hotel but it is beautiful -
beautiful grounds -
another place I have heard of but not stayed is the Bonneville Hot Springs Resort and Lodge

might check that out

Old Oct 5th, 2008, 04:26 PM

We just got back from OR and I think it's a great idea to spend one extra night in the Mt. Hood/Gorge area. It's the one part of our trip I wished we had spread out to two days. Lot's of wineries and apple orchards to see on the way and so scenic.