Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Should we upgrade to a 4X4 for Kauai or BI. What is the deal with Saddle Road?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2003, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How important is it to have a four wheel drive on either of these islands? I finally got my Ultimate Kauai and BI Revealed guides and there are a few spots where it seems necessary. This will be our first time on these islands and we will spend 7 days on each. I'm thinking with only 7 days on each we might not even GET to some of the sites only accessible by 4X4 so a regular ol' compact will be fine. Also, what is the deal with Saddle road on the Big Island. Anyone ever break the rules and drive it with their rental? Is it a scenic drive or just a shortcut.
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

zzzzz
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 12:10 PM

On Kauai, we came across only one time when having a 4X4 would have helped....the trailhead of the Canyon Trail up in Waimea Canyon would have been 1 mile closer.
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Okay, thanks Doug. That was what I was hoping to hear. We don't want to spend the extra $$$ if we don't have to.
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 01:01 PM

Corgie, I would recommend a convertible on Maui, and a SUV on Kauai and Big Island. We did not do saddle road on the Big Island because the road to Hilo or Kona has things like gas stations and Starbucks and Macadamia products. Saddle road is supposed to be twisty and used by military vehicles for training purposes, if that appeals to you help yourself. Usually with mountain routes they may be shorter in distance but not much differnce in time between point A and B versus the main civilian road. Parts of the west side of Kauai have dirt roads and if rains, I feel better with 4wheel drive. Alamo usually has discount codes for convertible and SUV's in Hawaii. Enjoy your trip!
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 01:54 PM

I don't think you really need it.
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 01:58 PM

For a similar trip, we found no need whatever for 4WD. I think the authors of the guides are influenced by their efforts in seeking out every isolated cove and waterfall. Unless you are trying find the most isolated corners of the islands, don't bother.

As for saddle road, there's not really any reason to use it unless you want to go up to the observatories.
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 04:21 PM

Saddle Road is long and windy and can be a bit monotonous in parts - but it really is kind of spectacular to be so high up and surrounded by that moonscape feel. It is completely do-able with a regular car - paved all the way better than many of the streets here at home (San Francisco).

While it's probably not any faster to get to Hilo - it IS a different way to go, which keeps the trip back more interesting since you haven't been that way.

We started by taking Saddle Road and stopped at the grotto outside of Hilo - it's in the book and worth a look-see. I would have never stopped if I hadn't read about it - and although it's a short roadside stop, it's really beautiful and unexpected.

We also did the botanical roadside stop in the book. I've been twice and it's slowly getting better and better. You pay admission and get a guava drink and drive to a waterfall and some trails. It's kind of a tourist trap waiting to grow into a full fledged roadside stop - but it's still kind of neat to see.

We usually then hit Hilo for lunch and trek onto the Volacnoes.

Makes for a very long day.
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 05:31 PM

Hi Corgie,

A 4 wheel drive is great for cutting some time off of a few hikes I know, Canyon trail, Alikai Swamp.
We also were glad to have a 4 wheel drive on the way to Polihale. I have been without though and so has Kal. I have heard him mention it on here. Look at your trails that you want to hike. I think the two I mentioned are great. You just don't want to even attemp Alikai without it. If you are going to Canyon you will just have to walk that 1 mile, people do it. Just get there much earlier so that it is cool for your walk. Canyon Trail is a must do walk Corgie. You don't have to do the entire trail to get incredible views.

The rain stops and starts so suddenly I never have been trapped in floods on Kauai. I have only been in July or August though. Bottom line for me a 4 wheel has been about hikes. You also have to gage how comfortable the driver is manuvering those back roads. I went one year with my sister and her husband who drove, he acted like he was at the rodeo. The following year with my sister as driver, she was sure we were going to tip. On our way back to the alakai swamp trail, we turned back. Canyon trail is flat and easy for a 4 wheel though.

BIG ISLAND, HAVE YOU LOOKED INTO WAIPIO VALLEY. You need a 4 wheel drive here.

Old Jun 22nd, 2003, 07:19 AM

You should be fine on Saddle Road with a compact, I drove it in February with a full sized Buick. At that time, the road was not paved for several miles on the Kona side. The road has no facilities on it, although there are military installations along the way where you could probably get assistance in an emergency. The terrain on the Kona side gives you the feel of eastern Colorado although your view at times is much greater. It will give you a different look at the climate zones on the BI, but won't save you much time crossing the island.
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the replies!
We are still debating and might just wait until we get there to see what kind of free upgrade we can get. For some reason we are usually pretty lucky at getting free upgrades.

The Alikai and Canyon trails are definately on our lists.

And I just started reading about the Waipio Valley... The thing is that I'm not even sure how much time we will have to see everything. This is our first trip to both islands and on the big Is. we are doing 2 nights at the Volcano. That only leaves 4 days to explore the rest of the island and we definatley want to reserve one of those days for strictly hanging at the beach.

I actually would really like to go to the observatory but it seems like a REALLY tough drive to do @ night and am wondering if it is worth the time?

What about the LAVA viewing? Would a 4X4 come in handy for that or do you need to hike in regardless?

Thanks again everyone!
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 07:59 AM

When we were there in March, chain of craters road was open and you could drive to within about 1/4 to the lava flow, after which you walk down the road to where the lava flow is. Then you have to trek across the mounded lava flows to see the part where it is red hot and flowing. Park rangers will be there. You do not need an SUV at all.
80 year old people with canes were attempting this walk (I don't recommend this). Good Luck!