Should we turn our car back in Seattle

Old Oct 18th, 2010, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should we turn our car back in Seattle

Traveling to Washington for 8 nights, with the last 2 nights spent in downtown Seattle. We're trying to decide if we should turn the car in at the airport for the last 2 nights and just walk or use public transportation.
With this in mind, would it be difficult to travel around Seattle with our car? Will we need it to see the sites? Or would it just sit in the parking garage for those 2 days costing us money?
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 10:05 AM

I personally would consider it a wasted expense (assuming it truly does cost more to keep). You can see a lot in 2 days on foot in Seattle.
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 10:33 AM

I guess it depends how much it costs to keep/park -- a taxi back to SeaTac is pretty expensive.
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 10:46 AM

A car is not a help in seeing the main sights in Seattle--they are easily accessed on foot or by public transport. Bus service in the downtown core is free up until about 7:00 p.m.

What you save in car rental and parking fees is likely to pay for a taxi to the airport with plenty to spare.

HTTY
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 11:32 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You definitely don't need a car in Seattle -- and absolutely no reason to take a cab to SeaTac. The light rail travels from several stops in downtown right to the airport for $2.50. Very easy.
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 11:50 AM

Is there a map of the light rail somewhere?
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 12:04 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
http://www.soundtransit.org/Riding-S...t-Rail.xml#map
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 12:24 PM

Thanks - I had found it in the meantime. Certainly looks easy!
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 12:28 PM

While we're at it, have you checked picking up a car in downtown Seattle rather than at the airport (assuming that's what you're doing)? Seattle airport seems to have some of the highest rental car rates around and you can often make huge savings by getting it downtown instead.

Our first trip to Seattle we were told a car wasn't necessary, but after a couple days of "doing" downtown and wanting to get out and explore a bit, we got a car and were glad we did.
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. Good to know you can get around easily on foot without a car. That information helps.
Still working on figuring out if it's worth the savings to turn the car in early and deal with transporting the 4 of us and all our luggage from Seatac to downtown for 2 days then back to Seatac to catch our flight out.
I looked into it some and what I can see is it's about $40 to take a cab from Seatac to downtown.
The hotel doesn't have a shuttle, so they rec. Grayline Downtown Airporter for $25 round trip (x 4 people).
I did look at renting outside Seatac, but they don't offer a vehicle with 4WD.
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 01:05 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
At the risk of complicating things, let me chime in.

It's true you don't need a rental car in downtown Seattle if you're just going to visit the downtown area, including the north end (Seattle Center) and the south (Pioneer Square/International District.)

It's also true that cars picked up from the airport carry very high taxes and fees, imposed mainly to finance the sports stadiums that are filled with impoverished professional athletes and season ticket holders week after week.

Now, those things said, let me direct your attention to NeoPatrick's second paragraph, and add my own 2 shekels.

First, Seattle is a city of neighborhoods, some of which are very much worth visiting, but which are not especially easily reached by visitors (those unfamiliar with the territory) using public transportation. Or, some are "driving-around" neighborhoods. In addition, there are some terrific suburbs that are virtually inaccessible - conveniently - without a car. Sure, you can get there, but do you want to spend your time waiting for buses and more buses to transfer to?

Second, you didn't mention one of the most critical elements... when?

Do you want to wait in the rain for buses? It does rain here from time to time. How about waiting for a taxi after dark? You can't hail them (by law) so you have to go to a taxi stand (in excess of none in the neighborhoods) or phone for one.

Third, it's true the downtown hotels add an arm and a leg for parking, just like in big cities everywhere. The solution is simple - don't stay downtown. There are many decent hotels in non-downtown areas where parking is either free or available very cheaply nearby. Some of the hotels in the neighborhoods (e.g. in the University District or Lower Queen Anne) have free shuttles that will take you downtown or to some of the sights.

So it depends. A car will cost you more (car rental expense plus day and/or overnight parking if you're in areas that need it) but the same car will let you explore lots more of our fair city, in ease and comfort. If you dropped your longer-term rental in order to stay downtown, you could do so at one of the downtown branches of the car companies (or indeed, save money in the first place by picking it up there rather than the airport - just take the train or the Gray Line limo downtown to/from the airport.) Then if you want a car to explore the city/burbs, rent one for a day at one of the downtown offices, bingo - no parking payments needed.
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 02:27 PM

You need a four wheel drive in Seattle?

I agree totally with Gardyloo!
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 03:46 PM

what sights do you want to see? so much depends. If you wanna go to the Space Needle, Public Market, Acquarium, etc., forget the car. If you wanna go to Mt. Rainer, you will need one..Personally, I'd leave the car and just walk around. Have fun.
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

We'll be in the North Cascades for 6 nights (beginning Nov. 4th) so we'll need the 4WD for that leg of our trip. Will only have a 1 1/2 days in Seattle so will probably only have time to take in the major tourist spots.
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 09:06 PM

(sigh) Where does this fun-filled, action-packed trip commence? Rental cars usually are rented by the week, and an "8-night" trip often requires a rental of 9 days.

For that reason and for reasons of not needing to rent AT the airport (incurring all of the huge fees there in the process), it would be most economical for you to (fly into Seattle/Sea Tac ????)... then take the LIGHT RAIL directly downtown, get your car there for a block of "7 days"... go on your trip up north, and then return the car in the downtown local after "one week"... and then winging it for your last 1 1/2 days in Seattle proper.

You won't likely need a car for what you can hope to see in 1 1/2 days. Then the light rail can take you dependably right back to the airport in direct fashion.

So do some pricing of your trip when picking up your car at a DOWNTOWN rental office, for the duration of "ONE week", and see how it all fits.
Old Oct 19th, 2010, 03:52 AM
Original Poster

Yes, NWM,we are Fully aware that Weekly car rental fees are based on just that, A week. Thanks for your input.
I appreciate everyone's answer to my original question that our car would sit in a parking garage while we can easily see the sites without it, as well as the input about the light rail. That was helpful.
Thanks, Northwestmale, for the Kindness in your confidence and optimism in the four of us that we are to have a 'fun-filled, action-packed trip'. From your lips to my ears...sounds good to me!
Old Oct 19th, 2010, 11:14 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If you already have the car rented for a week (and I am understanding the plan correctly), why not keep it for the 2 days in the city and pay the parking charge? If you have to drive it back to the airport, then come back downtown however to get to your hotel, then back to the airport when it's time to leave... seems like you're making a lot of work and wasted effort, for the savings of 2 days hotel parking fee.
Old Oct 19th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

We've decided to keep the option open to visit the Museum of Flight the day we drive into Seattle. (DH's wish list). That would get us into downtown later, reducing our time in the city even further. As a result, we've decided to just keep the car with us in the parking garage of the hotel in lieu of time.
Thanks for everyone's input and information!